What's new

Help installing my first projector (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Hi. I'm attempting to install my first projector. It's a Sony 40ES. I got it with the Chief Universal Mount based on a recommendation from ProjectorPeople.

Here are my issues:

How do I make sure I project straight on? This mount doesn't seem to have a way to correct for yaw if I don't screw it in perfectly.

How do I attach this to the ceiling? The center of my wall is immediately between two ceiling joists. The joists are 12" apart. This bracket is about 4" between the holes to attach to the joists. I just moved into my new home, and I don't think I have easy access to this part of the ceiling from the attic.

Can anyone please help?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Get some thin wood cut it to size so that it fits the width over the joists above plasterboard ceiling (are you following so far?) then screw the projector bracket to the wood and fitted to ceiling with some 4 good 3" screws should hold the weight easily. Don't go proving you can hang on the bracket unless you drill though the joists and fit couch bolts, which don't cost much.

But if you have a room or any space of many feet behind the room, I'd make a port window cut a hole in the plasterboard of decent size and fit some wood MDF around the insides to make a clean box and fit a cheap good glass picture frame that is sized up before you make it and that will fully isolate the projector fan noise even if the fans are quiet it will give it 100% noise free, just like a cinema and the projector will be out of sight and thus you'll get longer light throw for bigger image which is after all, what you want. Don't want a small image. Get it as wide to wall to wall as possible and screen should be middle height of the room so seat to seat gets a clear line-sight and matched LCR behind the screen placed middle height of the room height has clear line-sight to beam the sound to seat to seat. Nothing much to it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
He means, put the projector in a box in the wall.
Not in the wall on the opposite side of the wall. In wall got think about the heat build up, you'd need an extractor to suck the heat away.

I had drill the hole out with a 12" Masonry drill lots of holes horizontally then drilled diagonally upwards/downwards until larger chunks of the gray brick fell apart, a few hours work and it was messy.

A plasterboard wall you should get all this done and projector fitted up and running in a day, unless you don't have the tools in which case get the tools and bits and get cracking. :)

10275916_10152403096470149_5231918061923612666_n.jpg

999510_10151793553540149_615895177_n.jpg

11898559_10153525395770149_2355117043443469458_n.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jeff Swearingen said:
Hi. I'm attempting to install my first projector. It's a Sony 40ES. I got it with the Chief Universal Mount based on a recommendation from ProjectorPeople.

Here are my issues:

How do I make sure I project straight on? This mount doesn't seem to have a way to correct for yaw if I don't screw it in perfectly.

How do I attach this to the ceiling? The center of my wall is immediately between two ceiling joists. The joists are 12" apart. This bracket is about 4" between the holes to attach to the joists. I just moved into my new home, and I don't think I have easy access to this part of the ceiling from the attic.

Can anyone please help?

If you don't have easy access to get above the ceiling, what you can do is get a nice thick piece of wood that's wide enough to attach to both of the ceiling joists using several lag screws. Then paint that to match your ceiling. Then attach the mounting bracket to that piece of wood instead of the ceiling joists.

As for centering, that projector has lens shift so you just need to get it reasonably close to the vertical center of the screen as possible (picture a line going from the lens to the screen - the line should hit the exact center-width-line of the screen) . You can twist the mount side to side to make sure the image is squared: use a tape measure on the projected image and make sure the height and width is exactly the same on the parallel sides - as well as making sure it's level - and then tighten the set screws that go into the drop-down mount pipe. Then, you use the lens shift and zoom to center the squared-off image onto your screen horizontally and vertically.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
andySu said:
But if you have a room or any space of many feet behind the room, I'd make a port window cut a hole in the plasterboard of decent size and fit some wood MDF around the insides to make a clean box and fit a cheap good glass picture frame that is sized up before you make it and that will fully isolate the projector fan noise even if the fans are quiet

Absolutely no need, the Sony is extremely quiet.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I pulled the pre drywall photos and took a closer look. There's about 12" of clearance between the roof insulation and the drywall where I need to hang it, so I guess it'll either be an external plywood mount or possibly a combination of lag bolts and toggle bolts? I'm learning the construction stuff as I go here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks