HELP! Infornation overload- can't narrow it down

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Noel, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Randy Noel

Randy Noel Stunt Coordinator

Here's my deal - I have a Toshiba 65HX81, and JBL Studio Series speakers (S26 rears, S36 Fronts, SCenter) Strictly 5.1 setup, 90-95% TV/Movies. I'm looking for a good quality receiver, and I want to stay under $300.00, because I would be in big trouble if my lovely wife knew what I had already spent (she just doesn't understand![​IMG]). I have been looking at Pioneer 811S, H/K AVR120, and even a SHERWOOD NEWCASTLE R-956. Give me some direction please. My HT is about 15W x 18D x 7.5H.
    (message heading should read "information," not infornation"):b

2. Randy Noel

I'm certainly open to other models, and could possibly go a bit higher[​IMG] . Help me out here, people!

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I don't follow prices too much but have been very impressed with Harman Kardon 320. good power and features for a pretty good price.
    I would think with a TV that nice you'd want a pretty decent receiver.
    Check out crutchfield.com for specs and features. What do you want from a receiver? Great sound or tons of features?

4. Randy Noel

All I will be hooking up to this are Prog. Scan DVD, Possibly a separate CD Player, VCR, and Cable (Probably the new Toshiba STB/Direct TV Receiver down the road.) We don't listen at extremely high volume. My main interest is good quality HT sound.

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Randy,

do a search through the forum for "budget receiver" over the past 2-3 months. For your price range (~$400), the Pioneer VSX-D811S is a very good value. I have one and it performs very well for HT use which is what you'll mainly be using your receiver for. It's also a 6.1 receiver and has pre-outs enabling you to go down either upgrade path (rear speakers or separate amplification). The search should reveal a number of threads that are pertinent to you.

How many sets of component inputs does your set have? I would hook up the progressive scan dvd player directly to the tv irregardless of whatever receiver I bought. It just eliminates another connection and another set of cables.

Other receivers in the $400 price range are:

Yamaha HTR-5540/5560
    Marantz SR4200/SR5200
    Onkyo SR500/SR600
    Denon 1802

good luck,

--tom