Help - Inexpensive Receiver With Auto Analog/Digital?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Gillies, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Scott Gillies

Scott Gillies Auditioning

I'm looking to replace my old Kenwood VR-309, which I was happy with.

Problem is, I just got an HDTV cable box and if I hook up the digital coax out of it into my receiver, it only outputs audio on channels that are broadcasting DD. Analog cable channels only output via the analog RCA jacks. The VR-309 does not automatically switch to the analog input when the AC3 signal goes away. The only way to hear the analog stuff is to physically walk up to the receiver and change the input mode from digital to analog. This is annoying, and apparently (according to Scientific Atlanta's FAQ) there are receivers that will play the Dolby Digital when its present and automatically fall back to analog when it's not.

So, I need an inexpensive, low-end receiver that fits the above bill. Budget is in the $500-600 Canadian range (US$300-350 range). 6.1 would be nice, but not essential. I'd like to stick with something I can get at a Canadian brick&mortar location rather than ordering online.

I'm looking at the Yamaha HTR5650B right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. John S

John S Producer

Most of the auto switchers just look for the mere presence of the digital, and that means, that would still be present even if the DD was not really being made available to the digital connection.
    I have run into this alot as of late. I have not found a good way around this either.

So if you come up with a good fix, let me know back on here.
    It seems rediculous that they do not output on the digital no matter what the source really, but they don't currently.
    I find it irratating as well.

3. Scott Gillies

Scott Gillies Auditioning

That really sucks. Here is the relevant bit from Scientific Atlanta's FAQ on the 3100HD cable box:

-----

In a home theatre configuration, when does the Explorer use the digital audio connection? Per the diagram, I connected both the stereo analog connections (Audio L, Audio R) AND I also connected the digital audio connection with a digital audio coaxial cable. How does the Explorer know which output to put the audio signal through? Shouldn't I prefer that the Explorer send a digital signal all the time?

It is correct to connect both the audio left/right and digital audio outputs to the home theater receiver inputs. The digital audio output from Explorer is active when a digitally delivered program is received. When an analog-delivered program is received, the digital audio output is inactive. The "cable out" and left/right outputs from Explorer are active for all types of program delivery. The choice of which signal to use is controlled at the home theater receiver. Most receivers provide menu control so that you can identify which source device is associated with the digital audio input. When the digital audio signal is absent, most receivers will then fall back to using the associated analog left/right inputs.

----

So, according to them, "most" receivers wil fall back to analog when the digital is absent. Are they full of it or what?

S

4. John S

John S Producer

Dang, I have not encountered that particular box, so maybe it does, all the comcast stuff out here (Colorado), does not switch off the digital out, it just doesn't output anything to it. Very annoying... It sounds like it should work, I can say, if you see the red light come'n out of the optical, while only analog is available, that statement for the unit is not true. These Digital and HD cable boxes are not the only devices that have these issues though, my old laser disc player causes me the same grief, and there are many many LD's that do not have a digital track, so I have to switch it manually on the reciever.