Help in transferring files

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian Perry, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I just bought a Sony PC110 DV camcorder and have just started to learn the process of converting the tapes to DVD. I was successful in capturing the video from my first tape to my laptop using Pinnacle Systems software. The reason I used my laptop is because it has a firewire port, whereas my desktop does not. Unfortunately, however, my DVD burner is on the desktop, so I now need to move the large AVI files from the laptop to the desktop.

The first possible option I'd like to explore is using the LAN I have set up. Right now I have a cable modem going into a Dell router that feeds my desktop (via ethernet port) and laptop (via a wireless card). Can I share files between the two computers with this current setup? If so, how? And if not, would I need to get a USB cable to connect the computers for file sharing?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

There is a kit that allows you to hook up 2 PC's via a USB port. But it will be slow, about 1.1meg. If you can see your desktop PC from your laptop you should be ok. Make a directory on your desktop, and share just that one. That way just incase you have someone trying to look in on your network, they just see that one. The Dell router should be ok. And, you should get speeds close to 8+ Mps.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Or... how about installing a Firewire card in your desktop PC to do the capturing from your DV camcorder? The firewire card is pretty cheap (around $35 for a firewire/USB2.0 combo card). I recently bought a Koutech model PFU331 combo card which worked pretty well for my purposes in retrofitting an older PC without firewire.

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Jeff/Patrick,

I actually took both of your advice--I was able to figure out how to "see" each computer on the network (though transferring huge files takes forever, so it's not a viable solution for video), and I ended up buying a Belkin Firewire card for $40 at Best Buy.

Thanks!