What's new

Help in switching players (1 Viewer)

Ok, here's my setup as it was. I was using an XBOX with Advanced A/V output box, connected via a 12' component cable to my Plus Piano DLP projector. I've had this setup now for several months and am very happy with the image I've been getting. XBOX Live came out last week and my internet is downstairs AND I've been a little unhappy with the noise level from the XBOX as it has a loud DVD-Rom and a bunch of fans in there.

So I went out and picked up a Toshiba 3800. As a side note, my projector cannot recieve progressive scan, but it has a really decent line doubler built in so its not that big of an issue. Now here comes the problems. First of all my settings are all WAY off now, which i found a little surprising.

Some more explanations are in order. My projector has a multi aspect ratio chip in it so I can do 1.33 at 800x600 pixels or 1.85 at 840x454. I have a 1.4:1 (840x600) screen to accomodate both settings. When in 1:33 mode i have narrow black bars on the sides and in 1.85 mode I have the horizontal black bands top and bottom. These bands are where the projector turns off the unused pixels and is as black as it can produce.

Now when I turned on my Toshiba with the old XBOX settings on the projector I see two things which make me unhappy. One is that the bars the DVD player creates for 2.35 images on the 1.85 mode are brown and I have to turn down the brightness by like 20 points for it to fade into the black of the "off" pixels thus giving me an overall darker image. Secondly and most disturbing if I put up a "black" screen like with opening titles or something similar, the brown that the DVD player is calling black isn't even uniform but has noise all over it. If I put a black screen up on the XBOX and crank the brightness the pixels turn grey not brown and they are all uniform.

Is the toshiba at fault here? Is it a poorer quality signal? Can this be rectified by settings alone? I am going to run Avia and get ideal settings for the Toshiba, but the noise is very disturbing. Is the XBOX that good of a DVD player? I am bringing over an Onkyo tonight to do more comparisons as I know it to be a high quality source. Any advice would be helpful. Worse thing comes to worse I could go buy another XBOX just to use as a DVD player, but it does have its faults and I do like some of the Toshiba's features.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I have seen the secondary black bars look grey before..... but never brown. I am by no means an expert but i would be looking at the Toshiba as the problem, but if you havent try running avia, maybe your settings for the x-box were just wacked out....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks