Help in picking a DVD player for my HT system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod D, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Rod D

Rod D Extra

How about a little help here?

Ok I've decided on my HD RPTV, A/V receiver, speaker/sub system but am having a tough time picking a DVD player. What would you recommend for the following components.

Misubishi 55" WS55411
    Onkyo TX-SR600
    Polk RM6700 @ 6.1 with subPSW350

I will be using my old Onkyo CD player in the new system so a multiple DVD player is not an issue. I don't think I am ready for DVD A or SACD at this point so a single disk progressive scan deck should fill the bill. I have read the DVD shoot out at Secerts and have been thinking about the Denon 1600 or a Panasonic something. I've been looking around at the Pannys and have gotten really confused on what deck is a follow on deck for the RP82. Just recently on this forum I have seen a lot of talk about Phillips and Toshiba players.

Please help,

Lost and confused in DVD player never land.

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rod,

Your question is a little too general – that’s probably why you haven’t gotten a reply.

For instance, any DVD player will work with your TV and your receiver (or any TV or receiver, for that matter). See what I mean?

Typically you get better responses if the question is a little more specific, such as “What’s a good player on the $200 range?” Or “I’m trying to decide between a Supersonic 456 and a Vortex MR-99.”

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Rod D

Rod D Extra

Wayne,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I did a search on the Denon 1600 DVD player and it had very good reviews from it's owners. I guess my question is does anybody see any glaring problems using this player with the proposed system I have put together. I am just a little nervous about going out some weekend and dropping 4 or 5 grand for a HT system. Just trying to get the best bang for the buck that's all, and trying to easy my conscious.

Thanks

Rod

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I'm not sure, but does that Mits TV lock into FULL/16x9 mode w/ a 480p signal?

If not, then the Denon should be a fine choice. Otherwise, you'll have to consider how to handle non-16x9 DVDs.

Also, even if you watch plenty of foreign films and need subtitles, that's another thing to factor in for non-16x9 DVDs. In such cases, it'd work best to have a player that can scale the image for display in FULL mode.

_Man_