Help in mounting project to the ceiling.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by pankaj, Oct 11, 2005.

1. pankaj

pankaj Auditioning

Hi Gurus,

I received my Sanyo-Z3 projector and want to mount it to the ceiling. I already have the power and 2" conduit to run the necessary cables.

I read that the top edge of the screen should align with the PJ and viewer eye level should be at the center of the screen and so many other things that got me confused.

My room size is 11' x 17', ceiling height is 8'6". The screen is DIY blackout cloth 100" diagonal. The seating is at 12' and 16'.

Can someone give me a little run down what should be my screen height from the floor, should I use extension rods for the ceiling mount and any other tips, techniques that I should consider while ceiling mounting the projector.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Hi pankaj and welcome to the fourm.

I just ceiling mounted my new Z3 a few days ago.

The Z3 is extremely susceptible to vibration from bass. My Z3 replaced a Panny 200u. I used the exact same mount at first, where my 200u did not suffer at all, the Z3 was vibrating very badly. So much so the vibrations would move the actual lens shift knobs and the image would move several inches across the screen.

My ceiling mount is a DIY mount built from 1.5" galvanized pipe and a couple of floor flanges. For the mounting plate I used 3/4" mdf hardboard. What I did to solve the vibration issue was to do away with the mdf mounting plate and use this pictured below.

[​IMG]

From this mount I used only the aluminum spanners that attached to the 3 mounting holes in the PJ. I replaced the single center carrier with a nut and bolt type mount. I also replaced the 3 small screws that attached the PJ to the spanners with longer ones so I could level the PJ.

This solved my vibration problems with the PJ. I can post a pic of my actual mounting setup tomorrow if you'd like.

The nice thing about the Z3 is it's lens shift. You can off center the PJ and use the lens shift to line it up with the screen. I acutally raised my PJ up a few inches higher for more head cleareance (I have low ceilings). I also did not notice and distortion from the image by using the lens shift. Do not concern yourself too much with getting it exactly lined up with the top of the screen.

Is your back row on a deck? If so I'd think you'd want to mount that screen fairly close to the ceiling and keep the PJ up just as high.

3. pankaj

pankaj Auditioning

Thanks Ron_P. Where can I get the alluminum spacers like what you have. I have only seen them with the expensive mounts.

Also as per Projector central, I can mount PJ from 9 to 13' (13' 1x zoom) for 100" screen. I am thinking about 12' or so. Do you think that would work.

Thanks,

Pankaj

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I bought the mount off ebay. Do a search for "Sanyo Z3 ceiling mounts" and it should come up. It was about $40 shipping included.

As for your screen size and mounting distance, if PC says it will work per their screen size calculator it should be fine. But, to be sure, fire up the PJ and set it back about 12' and see what your screen size limits will be.