Help in making AVR choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George B., Jun 1, 2004.

1. George B.

George B. Auditioning

Jan 27, 2004
    I am planning to get the Rockets ELT with the Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer. I am looking at the Denon 2805 and the Onkyo 801/901. This is mainly for HT for movies and music concerts. Not so much music as in CD music.

Price wise, I can get around $300.00 off for the Onkyo's so if price alone is the determining factor then I would go for the Onkyo's but I am more into the specifications and quality or the better of the two without considering price.

Hope I get enough info to make this decision.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Mar 30, 2004
    Listen to both and decide. Only you will know.

Denons now are the "in" choice. You'll get a lot of responses on that one. Most will be from owners that have "brighter" speakers (as the Denon is considered warmer). The rockets are not bright speakers.

When I compared Pioneer, Denon, and Onkyo, I much preferred the Onkyo. I ended up buying the Onkyo 800 (pred to the 801), and I find the sound to be magic with my B&W speakers. The 800 won Secrets receiver of the year award (last year). Read the review:

Recently (2 wks ago), I had the opportunity to listen to the 3805 on my speakers. They did not get along well at all. Oddly, I found there to be a lot more shrill than I was expecting. Perhaps the Denon sound is changing.

If you can wait, the 802/902 will probably out this summer.

Oh, and if your saving $300 of the receiver, why not upgrade to the Rocket 550/250 package.