Help in getting the best picture

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Louisp, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Feb 23, 2004
    Louis Patrick
    We have the Sony 42A10 HDTV and would like help in getting the best possible picture from it. The TV is connected to a Directv H20 HDTV Receiver via HDMI. Audio comes from our HK AVR 635 using optical for the DTV and Coxial for the DVD. Our DVD is the Denon DVD-2200.

I tried using one of those test dvds and was not successful in adjusting the picture so I reset the video back to factory specification. As you can tell I am not technically inclined.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino
    Which test DVD did you use, and what do you mean by "not successful in adjusting the picture"? People who are used to seeing the hideously maladjusted factory settings and think they (or something like them) represent "normal" are often put off by the result the when they first properly adjust their TVs using Digital Video Essentials or Avia Guide to Home Theater. (Any other "test disc" is apt to be a waste of time and money.)

The very first time I adjusted a TV (a 56" Toshiba NTSC CRT-based rear projection set) I thought the image looked too dim, the colors rather muted and the over-all image too "soft". I could easily have hit the "reset" button and put everything back to factory "torch mode", but I decided to try living with it for a couple of days, and watching a variety of TV, laserdisc and DVD materail. I soon realized the "soft" picture was actually more film-like and that I was seeing details in films I had watched repeated that I had never seen before. The colors didn't "pop" quite as much, but they also didn't bleed into one another, and I was no longer seeing black spots in bright reds. In fact, they looked more natural. I was learning to see what NTSC television was supposed to look like, and not what a set looked like when adusted to stand out on a wall full of similar sets under glaringly bright lights in a retail store. Until I did so, it looked "wrong" to me.

Also on many sets adjusting one input does not adjust the others. Running a disc like Avia or VDE may adjust your DVD input, but not the others. You may need to record the numbers and replicate them on the other inputs or - even better - move the DVD from input to input (using different cables as required) and adjust each of them.

Consumer-level adjustments will get you a picture that is very, very good. To get the very best picture you generally need to spend a couple of hundred dollars and get a professional calibration from a tech certified by the Imaging Sciences Foundation who can access the technician service menus of your set and adjust various settings using precise test instruments rather than the human eye. Lion Audio Visual Consultants is an HTF advertiser that does calibrations nationwide.

Most people don't take their TV viewing that seriously and are content to pay 30 or 40 bucks on DVE or Avia. But don't ever watch a TV with factory settings. [​IMG] (For one thing, it can actualy shorten the life of your set.)