What's new

Help in choosing the best brand of A/V receiver (1 Viewer)

Arvin.T

Auditioning
I am looking for a A/V receiver with dolby digital and dts features. What do you think would be the best brand? My budget would be around $300-$450. :rolleyes

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only way to figure out what is good for you is to go listen to them.

On that budget, my recommendations would be to start with Marantz SR4200, Harman Kardon AVR 125, Sony DA2ES, Denon 1602, and Onkyo TX-SR600.

Iver

Second Unit
Check out the new Denon AVR-1403. It's somewhat stripped down feature-wise, but covers all the basics well and the performance specs are excellent. It lists for $300.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
arvin -
450 isn't a bad budget at all. i think if you stick with any of the 'heavy hitters' you'll be fine.
be sure to check out (in no particular order) denon, onkyo and yamaha. they make really excellent stuff - especially at the given price points.
also, be sure to check out the outlaw 1050 at www.outlawaudio.com. it's a very well respected here. do a search if you don't believe me! :D i think it's 499, but definitely worth the extra 50 bucks!

Scott Reiss

Agent
I just went through a similar thought/decision process and came out with the Pioneer VSX-D811S. I'm very happy with it. Search on it in these forums and you will find lots of references and experience from a variety of folks. I think there was even a thread dedicated to it in the Receivers/Separates/Amps forum on this board sometime in the last 60-90 days.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Another vote for the Pioneer 811..a GREAT receiver for the money.

Alfer

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to plug the Marantz. I'd recommend it, im looking at getting the 5300, one model up. the x300 models aren't quite out yet, but it might be worth the wait. Very strong performance, but without all the "features" that get crammed into cheesy recievers with inferioe performance. The 4300 might be the way to go.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Great question. Um, there was a post around here about the new line of Marantz receivers, you could try doing a search, but they should be out any time here. They wer displayed at this year's CEDIA expo, so they should be out by october, novemberish, something like that. It looks from what i can tell like they are coming out pretty much now in Europe. I don't beleive the specs are up on the North American site, but just go to marantz's European site and they have some info and specs. Theres a news article there taht gives improvements, you can check that out. Pretty much, it updates to "kosher" DD EX, and DTS ES discrete, and adds CS II i think. Oh and i think the D/A converters are now improved on all channels, wheras before the high-res converters were only front left/right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks