Help in choosing new receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Jul 5, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Well the Denon AVR-1082 is FRIED[​IMG] Is there any other unit I should look at in the 1500.00 range? Or should I pocket the difference and get a new 3802/1082 [​IMG]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

If you were happy with the 1082 I stay stick with it. This unfortunate event has given you an opportunity to do some serious second guessing and 'Hmmmming'? It's natural.
    The only other similar contenders you might consider (and you probably already did before getting the 1082) is the Sony DA5ES (now with the price break)[​IMG] and the Onk TX-DS898...no price break. [​IMG]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

hey rodney, what happened to it?

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

5. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

i can vouch for the 3802 for 699. just purchased one today from chris at 6th ave... i told him that people were getting it for this price. he said...oh, the HTF crew... and i said, "yeah..." he told me to hold on - checked the price- and then said he could do it. i'm so excited to get this beast up and running. feels like christmas in the summer.
    p

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Between the 1082/3802 and the DA5ES, Denons are much better receivers. If you can hold out that long, maybe the 3803 would be a consideration, otherwise, the 3802 at 6ave.com is a darn good deal.

7. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

8. John Garcia

John

9. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

John,

Then you should put that it is your opinion. I don't have anything againts the Denons as I almost purchased a 4802, and I do think the 4802 is better for music than the 5ES, and equal in HT, but I just didn't think that it was worth the price to get a 4802. I like the 3802 as well except for the component switching, bass management, multi channel inputs, and EQ. I know a lot of people are down on Sony but the ES line is made totally different, otherwise they would not sell it with a 5 year warranty.

10. John Garcia

John
    I would say that it is understood that nearly everything you read on this and any other forum is opinion. You are not dealing with professional reviewers (for the most part, I suppose), but rather individuals who in many cases, who have listened to the gear in question and have formed an opinion on them. I listened to a number of receivers from Denon, Onkyo, Sony and Marantz before settling on Marantz, which is why I have an opinion.

Sony does get a bad rap here, and I was not saying that there was anything wrong with Sony, just that I felt the 3802/1082 was a better choice. The current ES line are very good receivers, and with the price drop, they are a decent bargain. The DE line is still garbage, IMO.

11. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I think you should stick with the Denon. Get one from 6th Ave for $699 and with the difference pick up a Parasound 855A or 1205A. Will make an awesome combo! That's my opinion. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

For 699.99 There isnt a question in my mind now. I really dont think I would benefit from either the 4802 or adding seperate amps to the 3802 simply because of my speaker choices Polk R40 I know, I know not the best but 10 times better than what I upgraded from. As far as the 3802 at 6th ave do you have to call to get the 699 price? If so anybody in particular to ask for?

13. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Ask for Chris at 6ave. You'll have to call for the price since their website doesn't list the $699 price. That its [​IMG] You'll have a new 3802 in your hands in no time.
    Just get ready for them to try and sell you Monster Cables [​IMG]