What's new

Help importing data into Excel/Access (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,

I've been tasked by my fiancee with creating a simple spreadsheet to track our shower invites, received gifts (for the purpose of sending thank-you's), wedding invites, RSVP's, etc. Here's the rub: I've got the invite list in a text document in the following format:
Mr. & Mrs. John Smith
123 Main St.
Anytown, USA 12345
(Jane)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
first thing i'd do is go to the following website and post this question:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board/index.php
barring that, i think you may have to do a little legwork first.
when you say a text file, i'm assuming a straightforward text file, no special formatting?
if so, you can use word to do a find & replace function. i'd find all carriage returns and replace with a tab marker. you'll still have to do some cleanup at the end - finding the end of the data and putting a "legit" carriage return manually, but once you have clean data it should be relatively easy to import into excel.
i'll bet there's a totally easy method, but i just don't know it...

Brett_H

Second Unit
Ted,

Thanks for the tip! I was able to use Word to convert all the carriage returns to tabs, then put the carriage returns back in at the end of each record (funny thing, Word doesn't call them "carriage returns" in the replace screen, they call them "paragraph marks" or something to that effect). Excel was then able to import all the records without a problem!

You rock.

-Brett.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks