What's new

HELP! Image retention on new projector (1 Viewer)

eze

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
So, this was a hard purchase for me- I just sold my 55" LCD tv and decided to upgrade to the Epson 3020 projector. For the most part, the projector received great reviews from owners and critics. I set the projector up the day before yesterday, the bulb literally has 14 hours on it. Yesterday I was re-watching the BCS national championship on ESPN- As most of you know ESPN has the ticker on the bottom of the screen (red bar with scrolling text that updates you on scores and sports news). The ticker stays there permanently throughout the game. After the game, there is a very noticeable red bar that is on the bottom of the image- Upset, I thought that leaving the projector off over night would sold the issue- not so. This morning, its still there. I'm pretty mad about it, I have over $3000 in equipment and accessories which for me is a lot of money. Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this? Ive read other posts that said it was "the norm"- well if that's the case, I'll just send the projector back and go back to my tv. I shouldn't have to deal with that every time I watch a football game or basketball game that has the score fixed in one permanent location on the screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Should have bought a DLP projector. Then you wouldn't have this problem.The way to get rid of image retention was to have left it ON. Change the channel to something non-ticker for about an hour.If you read your owners manual (which you obviously haven't) it tells you how to deal with IR.from from the box...that was the worst thing you could do to any display. People are warned to stay away from tickets for the first 100-200 hours on LCD and plasma.

eze

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
schan1269 said:
Should have bought a DLP projector. Then you wouldn't have this problem.The way to get rid of image retention was to have left it ON. Change the channel to something non-ticker for about an hour.If you read your owners manual (which you obviously haven't) it tells you how to deal with IR.from from the box...that was the worst thing you could do to any display.People are warned to stay away from tickets for the first 100-200 hours on LCD and plasma.
Actually I did leave the projector on and changed the channel for more than an hour to different programming. AND in fact, I did read the owners manual, which is found online and doesn't ship with the projector which says nothing of image retention.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just read the manual for the 3020. How they don't mention IR is beyond me.

Anyway...coulda/shoulda bought DLP(which is the same advice AVS gave you).

If it doesn't go away, try returning the projector. Epson won't consider IR a warranty problem. They'll call it user error.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HHmmm

Maybe Epson will consider it an issue. There are threads from 2+ years ago with Epson sending a replacement projector. But that was then...

eze

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I'm hoping they'll warranty replace it- I contacted them via email and they gave me a few instructions on how to "possibly" fix it- the email also said that if it doesn't fix it to call their 800 support # to talk w/someone- and then included how their warranty replacement program works. Based off that, I'm hoping they'll take care of it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LCD projectors are the only ones that experience IR.Since most people buying a projector should care about picture quality, there should never be a reason to buy LCD.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
schan1269 said:
LCD projectors are the only ones that experience IR.Since most people buying a projector should care about picture quality, there should never be a reason to buy LCD.
We GET it, you don't like LCD.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Peter Apruzzese said:
Actually, that's incorrect.
What is incorrect?IR?D-ILA/ LCoS would need days left on a paused image to get IR. DLP can't get IR, at all. It is impossible.Caring about PQ?What does LCD win?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
schan1269 said:
What is incorrect?Caring about PQ?What does LCD win?
Nonsense about "anybody who cares," etc. As long as you avoid blinking while watching black and white movies, DLP is fantastic. :)Bye.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Peter Apruzzese said:
Nonsense about "anybody who cares," etc.As long as you avoid blinking while watching black and white movies, DLP is fantastic. :)Bye.
So I guess you'll never go see a modern black and white movie at the theatre then. Since all (pretty much) have gone DLP.

That and B&W movie issues...was an issue in 2008. Last I checked...the calendar read 2014.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
No color wheel in DLP Cinema projectors. I'm guessing that higher end home DLP units also employ three chips and no wheel and that those look fine. I'm one of the unfortunate ones who can see the rainbow on all DLP devices that use the wheel.

eze

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
UPDATE: EPSON tech support called the problem an optical engine failure- they are warrantying the projector

eze

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Jim Mcc said:
NICE !! They determined this over the phone? Did you send them a pic?
Just over the phone- quick phone call and theyre sending me a new one. I specifically asked if the one I'm being sent is a refurb or if its brand new. I was reassured that its new- which it better be since mine has literally 20 hours on it.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
excellent. Tech support can be quite weird. I was told just last week that a dead pixel was not covered by warranty. I had to go up their chain of command to get it taken care of.

(another reason to buy from a dealer that knows the product and doesnt simply sell widgets)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks