What's new

Help, I'm ready to buy into either SACD or DVD-A (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Neil,
That is not wide-DSD.
"Wide-DSD" is 8bit @ 2.8mHz. Lee and I have disagreed on whether this is PCM or not ;)
32bit/352K is used in (I think) the Pyramix solution. 32bit/352K is PCM.
Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,
I think we both need additional clarity on what Sony means by wide DSD and whether it is PCM or not.
I am willing to carry on the conversation as long as we put the "format wars" behind us to a large extent and just focus on the inner workings of both formats.
You and I have agreed in the past that each has its strengths and weaknesses. I feel the challenging thing about DSD is that it is new and very different than PCM, thus less well understood and prone to false information from both DSD and PCM fans.
We are alike in that we are both very intellectually curious people. Let's let that trait take us to a deeper understanding of exactly how DSD works, ohw mixing is done, and what the strengths and weaknesses may be. I am willing to let the cards fall where they may, although I do believe what one hears is the best path to sonic truth.
Agreed? :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
I have no problem with most of that, the catch is that "sonic truth" is a matter of opinion ;)
It is the Pyramix solution that's 32bit/352K, and that's Philips' product, right?
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks