What's new

Help, I'm having trouble keeping my HT cool! (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
John,

Do you know were you can buy them? It sounds a lot more reasonable then a window AC. Also do you know around how much they cost?

Ryan

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information on them. Let me ask my friend and see if I can find out.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Ted,

I was just kidding. If I get a window AC or "Swamp-type" cooler it will be set at around 75 degrees or higher.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DOH, a quick look on the web shows that they are NOT CHEAP, in the $700-$1300+ range for the ones I found.

I came up with "room air conditioners" or "portable air conditioners"

Not too much on "swamp cooler" but there were some sites that may have info on how to build a DIY one.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Dang $700 for a room cooler! I think the window AC is still top on my list. Unless I find a bag of money on the street somewhere :). Does anyone know if they make a AC's with less than 5000 btu's? I doubt they do since a 5000 btu AC is supposed to be good for a 14' by 12' size room. But it's worth a try.
Ryan

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
That other posters system of components in a closet with a fan to the garage sounded like a good one. Perhaps you could vent from closet to attic. As a father/home-owner I would probably object to a fan in the ceiling of my sons room, but not to one in the closet. The advantages of this approach being that it is not visible from the outside, and it consumes less power.

If there are concerns about heat loss in the winter, just cover it with a blanket during the winter (that's what I do with our house fan).

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Ryan,

If your room has a window in it, just sit a box fan in it. That is the way we cool our whole apartment because of the high cost of electricity (and we're college students). We have the fan blowing out so it draws a constant breeze through our place. Also, if you get one of those circular fans, the really powerful ones, and set it to blow out of your window it ought to help. Plus, you might use it as a selling point on your dad that it would improve air circulation for the whole house (if you leave the windows open) and you might be able to get him to foot some of the bill. If it would make to much noise, just turn it onto low while watching a movie. It would be worth a try.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I remeber when I was poor and trust me we were poor! but I dont think anyone is this poor unless they just dont work at all. how does one afford a HT if they cant afford to cool their house with a small ac unit or fan ? :)

Ryan T

Second Unit
I remeber when I was poor and trust me we were poor! but I dont think anyone is this poor unless they just dont work at all. how does one afford a HT if they cant afford to cool their house with a small ac unit or fan ?
Hey I'm only 16 what do you expect. Actually I can afford the AC. It's just a matter of my dad letting me get one. If I can show him that they don't use much energy and that I really do need one I'm sure he will let me buy one. I still have not found out how much energy they consume but I'm going to go to Home depot and talk to some one there about it.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks