Help! I'm having buyer's remorse with my Panasonic CT34-WGX50!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Hayes, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Jonathan Hayes

I recently have been upgrading my home theater system, and after seeking and getting great advice here, I went with the Panasonic CT34-WGX50, their 34" 16:9 HDTV-capable set. I'd been warned that the standard analogue cable image can look pretty poor on a HDTV-ready set, but others had had somewhat positive experiences. I took my chances, and wow! The cable image looks like CRAP!

On the other hand, when the opening cut scene from SILENT HILL 2 appeared on the screen, we all went "Oooh!", and a DVD (even played on the Playstation) looked fantastic.

I've ordered the Avia disc, and will be calibrating the set with that down the road, but does anyone else have any suggestions as to how to improve my cable experience? I watch quite a lot of cable, either live or TiVo'd, and I'm quite glum over the sheer lousiness of the image. (Feel free to say "We told you so!", but only if you're making a helpful suggestion!)

I live in New York City, and get Time Warner Cable. Would there be any advantage whatsoever to getting digital cable?

Right now I'm SO wishing I'd spend $1500 less and got a great regular TV set!

Thanks all,

J.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Here's one thing to try right away and one thing to think about:
    1. Set the sharpness of the TV to zero. (While you're at it, set the contrast and brightness way down... until you get a calibration DVD, start them at 50%.)
    2. Indeed digital cable will probably deliver a cleaner picture over analog. That was my experience. Neither is as good as digitial satellite, however (in most areas, anyway).
    The problem with the digital TVs is that they accentuate any degradation in the image, rather than smooshing it over.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I don't know that TV, but is it line-doubling that is making the NTSC cable signal look so bad? That is what makes the signal look bad in my opinion, more often than not.

4. Jonathan Hayes

Thanks, Marc and Chris (from Ajax, Ontario -I used to live in Pickering!).

I've turned down the sharpness, with some improvement. Is the "picture" setting a contrast setting?

And is there any way I can turn off the line doubler?

J.