What's new

help ! i'm buying this sony,should i be stopped? (1 Viewer)

frank-m

Auditioning
sears has a out of box sony big screen model kp53s75 for sell.
i'ts in my budget selling at $1149.00.i only use cable.
question 1: is this a good tv to buy for the price?
question 2:will i have to throw it away in 2006 when hd becomes standard or can i get a hdtv box add on?
question 3.
i'm such a newbie even after reading all related posts trying to get educated! so...much thanks for reading/helping me!
[Edited last by frank-m on August 12, 2001 at 01:27 AM]

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's not a good idea to buy any open-box rptv. It's probably been running on display with contrast turned up all the way for months, seriously decreasing the life expectancy of the crts.
Analog tv probably will not dissappear in 2006, and even if it does a cheap ($150 or so) set top box will be available to convert digital broadcasts to something an analog set can use.
There are a few analog sets available for $1300-1400 or so brand new that will perform quite well for just cable--43" models from Sony and Toshiba, and a 45" Mitsubishi. Although a bit more expensive they would be a much better choice than the open-box Sony.
Alternatively, 32" hd-ready models are starting to appear for around $1500 from Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

frank-m

Auditioning
thanks guys! i'll shy away from sony out of box deal.
ive read many ,many of the posts here but
never seen this question...
the look of an anolog tv in 2006?
you say it will work!but how will it look?
reason asking ...is that i dont mind regular cable viewing picture i see now.
but want to know that i can get same picture i see now in 2006 and after to get full value/life expectancy out of tv .
& can anyone point the way to a power supply board for older (phillips /philco/magnovox ) tv.
....thx a bushel 2 everyone!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Frank, the phosphors in CRTs degrade over time, even with the best of care. It's unlikely that what you purchase today will look just as good in 2006--unless you use the set sparingly.
BTW, do you have a DVD player? If all you've been watching is cable, your outlook is going to be changed considerably once you start screening DVDs. As has been mentioned, there are now 32-inch HD-capable direct-view sets available discounted down to the $1500 range. During this transitional period, it's best to start considering future-compatible sets. (This, from a guy who plunked down more than $1400 "discounted" on an NTSC-only Sony WEGA just a few months ago. In other words, do as I say--not as I do!)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Frank,
The conversion to all-digital tv will probably not occur until well after 2006. Even if it does, you will be able to buy a set-top box, or your cable company will provide a box that will convert the digital signal to work with your ntsc set.
Picture quality should actually be as good as dvd is now.
If you keep your set adjusted properly it should not degrade significantly in picture quality over 6 years.
I have a 25" Sony XBR in my bedroom that was built in 1985, and purchased new in 1986, and saw heavy use as my main set until 98. It's picture is still quite good, as it's never been run with contrast over 50%.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks