HELP!!! I'm a Novice.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Cheri Casey, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Cheri Casey

Cheri Casey Auditioning

I am trying to decide on a larger, flat screen TV and I'm so very confused. I would like to buy a 32"-36" tv simply to watch sports on with regular cable. Of course, I will watch some DVDs, but my focus is sports. I have read numerous posts here and most focus on DVDs. What about just regular TV? I will probably get digital cable next football season, if I can figure this TV thing out.

I have read and been out and looked at sets and my head is spinning. I am thinking maybe a Toshiba 36AF43. Right now it is available at bestbuy.com for $853, free shipping and $99 for a 4 year warranty. And I will go to the local store and talk to them too.

First, is this the best TV for my money? And second, what else do I need? Cables and what all? Can I hook this up by myself? I am a female, so I can read instructions (sorry, guys, no offense intended.........lol).

You guys are so very knowledgeable about all this. Please remember when you reply that I know virtually nothing about electronics, ok?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheri

[​IMG]

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'll throw my $0.02 in the ring and say that, no matter what, do NOT buy the Best Buy extended warranty. Most problems that you could possibly have will be in the first year or less, which is normally covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Best Buy makes a ton of unearned money off of the extended warranty racket.

I would suggest, if you are looking at a number of models, a trip to AudioReview.com would be extremely helpful.

As far as cables and the like, it will entirely depend on your source material. I would guess you'll probably want the following:

Component cables (for DVD)
    RCA cables (for audio from DVD)
    S-Video cable (for digital cable)
    RCA cables (for audio from digital cable)

Take a trip to the Home Theater Basics Forum

Best of Luck!

3. Cheri Casey

Cheri Casey Auditioning

Thank you, Dave, for having enough class to try to answer. I have been to Home Theater Basics but I am apparently stupid, because I can't find anything there.

And more stupid to imagine that you guys would be kind enough to answer a stupid question from a woman. In 5 hours my question was read by 37 people, answered by 1, and I still didn't get much help. But several of you have had responses to several posts. And it seems most everyone has an opinion. I have read posts for days.

Sorry to have invaded your boys club. You might have noted it was a male only forum. I should have known.

Take care, everyone.

Cheri

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

for only $99, i would go with the extended warranty, what is $99 these days?

5. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

Cheri

I just setup a toshiba 27AF43 with standard cable and a DVD using component in-it looked wonderful even before calibration with a good quality cable from the box to the TV and very very good with the component DVD in [​IMG]

I agree with not buying the Best buy warranty.

Good LUck

rogo

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Cheri don't be discouraged by the reply/view ratio. There are many reasons why the number of views will out way the replies. I assure you that none of those reasons are because your a female.

Dave gave you some very sound advice, and I'd bet that's a big reason that the reply numbers were lower than views. Another reason may be the people who viewed may be new just like you and not know how to answer.

7. John S

John S Producer

I'm not sure I still understand the question....
    Unless they owned the set in question, it would be hard to give an opinion on it.

I can say if your into sports, go HDTV, try to make sure any 4:3 (non-widescreen) set has a native 16:9 mode (Widescreen).

Sports are way way best in HDTV....

8. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have to agree w/LaMarcus. A solid first response to a basic question usually stops me in my tracks. I won't give a response if the question has been answered. Its when us boys get into heated "debates" that the reply numbers rise. Hang in there, we'll help get you going. I watch a ton of sports and one thing I can tell you is that most regular (non HDTV) sports broadcasts look subpar on any TV. The bigger the TV, the worse it will look. If it is w/in your budget, you should consider getting an High Definition ready TV. In my opinion, High Def was made w/sports in mind. Whatever your decision, you should go to some stores and see some TV's in person. Don't let the size of the TV's worry you either. Most TV's look very small in the store, but once you get one home, they seem to double in size.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

My thought would be if your going to spend that much money on a 36 inch set to get a smaller size HDTV set instead. Now if you were going with a 32 inch set than I would buy a "regular" set because they can be had for under $500 People that have been asking me (but I'm no expert)which "regular" flat tube tv to get I have been telling them Toshiba, JVC or Sony. I've seen the 32 inch JVC model AV-32FA44 for as low as $ 488.88 My pick would be the JVC because it's a little cheaper than the Toshiba. The last choice would be the Sony because I think their over-priced & they only have a 90 Day Labor Warranty compared to JVC's & Toshiba's 1 year Warranties. If I was you I would go to Sears who carries all 3 brands & compare the sets yourself & if your not planning on hooking up a Surround Sound Receiver I would pay Special Attention to how the speakers in each set sound. As for once you get a set & need help with something just come back & ask & I'm sure someone will be more than glad to help you hook it up & etc. Maybe this will make you happy though, Consumer Reports rated the Toshiba you mentioned Number 1, not that I agree with everything they have to say though [​IMG]

10. DougKuhn

DougKuhn Stunt Coordinator

Cheri,

I was set on buying the Toshiba 32AF43 until this weekend when I brought my better half with me and she saw the 36AF43 and suggested we go with the 36" tube because the 32" set was not in stock at any local BestBuy. Of course this brought on more discussion and nothing was bought this weekend. My argument here, like Bill's is to get a 32" HDTV set...but that breaks the $1000 threshold unfortunately and I receive 'the denial' on that purchase, hence putting me back at the 36AF43.[​IMG]

11. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or was Cheri 2nd responce a little over the top?

Bob

12. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Doug, Samsung's 32 INCH HI-DEF & 30 INCH HI-DEF WIDE-SCREEN models can be had for a little under $800.00

13. DougKuhn

Bill...Really? I must have overlooked them. Let me take a look.[​IMG]

14. Mark Murphy

Thats a little harsh. This is a free forum and for anyone to complain that they didn't get the help they requested asap on a Sunday evening is out of line. It sound to me like she won't be coming back.

15. Cheri Casey

Cheri Casey Auditioning

Oddly enough, guys, I was watching all the games plus doing research. And there were a bunch of replies to other posts. The whole reason I asked for help, not something I do often but I'm in WAY over my head here and can't make sense of the information I have gathered, is FOOTBALL. I aplolgize if I was out of line, but after probably 100 hours of research in the last couple weeks, it still doesn't make sense to me.

And I thank all of you who offered help. Those were some answers that really did help. If HDTV is the way to go for sports, that answers the biggest part of my question. But is HD ready what I want? Doesn't that mean I need I need and HDTV receiver? And that would add $400 to $600 to the price.

Is Samsung good, I really am having trouble finding actual reviews on TVs, as opposed to ratings? Ultimately, I will do the surround sound thing, but now it looks like I am going to spend twice what I had originally thought I would, so that will have to wait. And none of these TVs look small (shoot, I have a 19" still), but I was afraid they would looks smaller at home, not larger.

Thanks guys. I really am sorry I was ugly. I am just terribly afraid of spending a bunch of money on a bunch of crap. I do respect all your knowledge or I wouldn't have asked. And I don't have anyone else that I can ask. Please forgive me.

Cheri

16. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I've noticed that most of the restaurant/bar type places I've been to all (or mostly) have Toshiba sets. I kinda figured it was because they were a pretty cost effective unit....good picture, price and reliability quotients.

Heck Cheri...the instructions that come with it probably won't even be necessary. Plug it into the wall, hook up the cable and you're set to go...so simple I'd bet even a girl could do it [​IMG] Seriously...this ain't rocket science.

Howsomeever....you might need a guy to help you lift either one of those units....closing in on 250 or more pounds (not the guy, the TV)

Mort

17. DougKuhn

Cheri,

I have been shopping for a TV since September. Our 27" died and I was shopping for a flat screen 27" Sony...then a Toshiba...then it got bumped to a 32"...now a 36". HD or no HD. [​IMG] Your concerns are very similar to mine and I have an ultimatum to buy the replacement tonight. Ha!

Thankfully, I found this site when I got my HT receiver last January and have learned more than I had expected from the members here.

In any event...I am going to go for the same 36" you are looking at. Will post reviews once it is up and running!

P.S. - I hope you do not have as many stairs as I do to get this beast up. Not to mention narrow doorways. [​IMG]

18. Cheri Casey

Cheri Casey Auditioning

LOL.......I did know about the weight thing. The guy will probably be just about that much, too.

But after all the reading I have done here, I thought it was just way more complicated than plugging it in and connecting the cable. I did have a friend tell me last night that that was all he did to his Phillips 40".

Thanks a bunch, Mort.

19. Mark Murphy

I couldnt find any reviews on the 32" Samsung HD Ready (TXN3271HF) TV. However, for the same price, you'd be giving up 4" (vs. the Toshiba) for HD capabilities. Even if you don't want to go the HD route today, you'd have the ability to upgrade w/out changing TVs. Take a ride over to Best Buy and compare the two for yourself. Your best bet would be to head over during an HD sports broadcast. You may not make it out of the store w/out an HD setup, its that good. I know the Pats will be in HD vs. Tennessee Saturday nite (my spot on the couch is reserved). As far as an HD reciever, you can find over the air recievers for far less than $400 to $600. I got my Samsung SIR-T150 for $150 on ebay and every now and then people sell them on this forum.

20. Cheri Casey

Cheri Casey Auditioning

Air receiver? I have seen antennas and wondered what they were for but I haven't researched receivers yet.

LORD!!! See what I mean? Every time I think I am getting a clue, I find something else I need. Good thing I have till August to decide and save.

Thanks,
    Cheri