HELP! If you had $1000 to spend on a TV, what would you get?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt_P, May 26, 2005.

1. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

I'm looking to get a new TV, and am willing to spend a grand (or less...). I've been considering some HD models, mostly CRTs from Samsung (30'' 16:9 or 32" 4:3). Still, HD sets are kind of pricey, and for a grand, they're kind of small. Also, I would need an HD set with an integrated tuner.

Am I better off just going with a good quality analog CRT? They seem to be dirt cheap now, quite sizeable, and there are still some solid sets out there (from Sony, etc.). How about a small projection? Will an analog TV be rendered useless in a couple years?

What would you pick up for $1000? Best bang for your buck?

Thanks.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Matt, have you considered a projector? I recently sold our 55" Mitsubishi because we hardly used it after buying a projector. We watch all DVD's and any HDTV on the projector. I bought a 32" analog 4:3 set, Sharp 32C540, to watch BS shows and the news on. The picture is excellent with Dish SD satellite and OTA programming. And Consumer Reports rates the Sharp TV's the most reliable in the 32" size. There is no way I'd pay $1000 for about a 36" HDTV, when you can have a 106" diagonal screen for less than $1000. I paid $799 new for my X1 projector, made a screen for about $40, and made my ceiling mount for about $15. HD looks great on the X1 also. You'd be shocked at how nice a $1000(or less) projector's image looks.

3. RaymondSteiner

RaymondSteiner Stunt Coordinator

I also think a X1 refurb projector (700 -50 Rebate) at circuitcity it's a good investment (you can save the 300-350 for the next generation displays)

4. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Tell me more. Are you speaking of an InFocus projector? What model (there seems to be at least a couple X1s on CC's website)? How often does one need to replace a bulb, and how pricey are they?

Possibly some stupid questions: Did you just hook up an HD reciever to view HD programming? Can you display SD television on this somehow (just hook up a regular TV)?

How did you make your own screen? Would a white wall do the trick?

Thanks for the replies so far.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Matt, yes it's the Infocus X1, not the X1a. It's discontinued, but can still be found new and refurbished. Check out Google.com. The refurbs only have a 90 day warranty though. A white wall would work good if it doesn't have imperfections. Mine did, so I painted a sheet of 1/2" MDF and hung it on the wall. Projectors have no tuner, so you need to hook up either a satellite receiver, cable box or an antenna to a VCR to tune channels. I have Dish Network HD satellite and an OTA antenna for my local programming in HD. It's not a HD projector, but HD looks great on the X1. Football games in HD on a 106" screen is FANTASTIC.