Help identify a kung fu movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by LarryDavenport, Apr 30, 2004.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

A friend of mine is looking for a kung fu film he saw a long time ago:

"I am looking for the name of a kung fu movie I saw 20 years ago. It is about a construction worker who builds scafolds. One day he is working out side of a kung fu school. Inspiered he begins to learn kung fu. The hook in the film is that he incorperates his scafolding building in his kung fu. I don't remember any thing else about it."

Thanks.

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

OK I found it. It was called "Return of the Master Killer" aka "Return to the 36th Chaber of Shaolin." It starred Gordon Lui (of Kill Bill) and I found it in on DVD on Ebay for $8 including shipping.

3. DamonG

DamonG Auditioning

If you like Gordon Liu, check out the Fist of the White Lotus

4. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

There's a cool little documentary on that disc, which I'm sure you've seen by now, about scaffolding and its history in Chinese construction practices (it really is far more economical and just as practical and steel and wood) intercut with clips from the film. As I've seen baoo scaffolding in so many Hong Kong pictures over the years, both as part of the inherent background AND as a great place to stage a fight (as in MADAM CITY HUNTER), I've long assumed it to be a real part of everyday life in Hong Kong, and it was nice to see this documentary explaining its significance to the culture.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Off-topic....although I didn't paid particular attention to bamboo scaffolding when I was in HK about 9 months again, it's definitely still being used in majority of construction in HK.