Help, I was givin the shaft by Bose!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jerry*young, Jun 2, 2003.

1. jerry*young

jerry*young Auditioning

Hi Everyone,

I'm sad to say that I am an owner of the Bose AMS 10 Series 2. And I have read alot on the forum about Bose, about how they calim to be the Best on the Market for there cost. Well you can say that I was fooled. I really need to get me something better, BUT WHAT???
    I have about $2500.00 to spend on some speakers and I really like the SVS Bass Speakers . But I live in a apartment. Are they really as good for what I hear about them? And what would be a good surrond speakers to use with them without being drowned out by the bass???
    I really need some Help I am new to all of this. I do watch more movies than listing to music. all reply,s are very welcomed.

EX-BOSE USER

Jerry

2. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

Jerry. Sorry to hear about your Bose experience. I just received and set up an SVS 2039PC+. It is everything they say it is. It goes deep .... very, very deep, and very, very clean. It's a good value for the price. On the downside, the SVS does better at HT than music. It's a bit too much when listening to a CD and I'm considering changing the LFE option to SUB only. If you live in an apartment or condo, the SVS could be a lease-breaker. The room shakes and I can feel my T-shirt vibrating to the sub's output. And I've only got it turned up 1/4 way! Your neighbors will quickly become aware of its presence.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The biggest thing would probably be to hit a few local shops and actually listen to the various brands.

Stuff like...
    B&W
    Klipsch
    Axiom
    Polk
    Paradigm
    others will be better at mentioning brands

It all boils down to what you like the sound of. Each brand & model will sound different.

This is the advice I was given when I was looking a while back and it really is the best way. I got some B&W 600 series and love them. Before that I was going to get some Sony's or Yamaha's from Best Buy. I didn't know any better. After I went and listened to the B&W's there was no way I was going back to the Sony's or Yamaha's. Not that they were absolutely terrible, but I don't think they were even in the same ballpark as the B&W's.

I'm sure a more experienced member can expand on this more to help you out.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

If a system is properly calibrated with a SPL meter and a disk like Avia or Sound and Vision, no sub should over-power your other speakers. If you don't own those, go get them.

I would add JBL and Boston Acoustics to your list of speakers to audition. JBL, especially, makes some nice speakers in your price range (minus 5-700 for an SVS).

-Robb

6. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Jerry:

You have given us a budget, but what are your electronics and sources (DVD/CD players)? Also, how big is your listening room (recognizing you are in an apartment)? and finally, how much listening do you do to music and how much to HT?

Off hand, I know of a whole lot of good intergrated speaker systems which would be great for an apartment and would embarass the Bose. KEF's KHT 2005.2 and the JMLabs sib/Cub are great systems for the money ($1100-1500) that sound great and I would recommend that you audition them. For your budget, there are A LOT of speaker systems that can be recommended. depends upon what you like.

SVS makes a wonderful subwoofer, but in a smaller listening space, it is unnecessary to get a sub that big. As I recall, a 30 hz tone has a waveform that is 18 feet long. If you have an 18' long space, then it will work, but if you don't you won't hear it (you may feel it, though). Then there is the issue of the neighbors!

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are looking for a small satellite/sub combo like your existing Bose Acoustimass, Energy and Paradigm both make very nice small systems that will be a huge improvement over the Bose for a lower cost. Another very cost-effective solution in this market is Acoustic Research.

If you are looking to upgrade to larger speakers, B&W, Klipsch, Definitive Technology, Mirage, Boston Acoustic, Polk, and JBL can be added to Energy and Paradigm as possible brands to check out.

8. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Jerry,

And since no one else has brought it up here yet, you'll notice from the comments that amongst online options, there are people here who like Ascend Acoustics, Aperion, and Onix Rockets. All those can be done with sub within your budget.

good luck,

Eric

9. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You know, beside what you wrote, the original claim is all the more strange because it's actually almost the opposite that is true, i.e. it's easier to produce low bass in a small room, something that is very easily observed! (Car stereo anyone?) [​IMG]

--
    Holadem

11. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Jerry:

7 years ago I bought a AM-10 series speakers from Bose. All I had was this and a 4 head VHS and a 27 inch TV.
    I also bought a used Kenwood recevier form Bose.

Anyway, last year I bought a Onkyo 595 on closeout from Bose again. Sometime immediately thereafter, I found this forum. The Onkyo made those AM-10s hum and about 5 years ago I had purchased a Def Tech Pro 100 sub with it.

So, because of this forum, I went through a HK 520 and then a Pioneer 45TX whcih I still have and love.

As far as speakers, I started with upgrading my fronts the Paradigm Studio 40s and I used the Bose for the other 5 channels. I actually think the bose did a nice job on the 4 rear channels and really believe I could have stayed with Bose on the rears. Now, I have a Studio CC and ADPs for the rears.

I suggest you go with the best speakers you can afford along the front with the best recevier amp combo you can get and use the Bose for the 4 rears until you get the cash to get where you want.

IMHO, in an apartment, the Bose work great for close spaces and do a more than adequate job for the rears especially since you've already invested in them. Put your money in a good sub and the three fronts and a receiver amp combo.

Mike

12. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

13. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

LaMarcus recently brought an SVS over to my house during a home Theater meet. He didn't run it at half and it was vibrating the china in my formal dining room. I can't imagine using a SVS in an apartment and getting any serious use out of it.

So. I'm with Terry. You could get a smaller sub.

Mike