Help...I think I got ripped off

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Stonesifer, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Tim_Stonesifer

Tim_Stonesifer Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased the widescreen, collector's edition of Jurassic Park off of amazon.com. Instead of buying amazon's, I bought one new from one of their "used and new" dvds which were significantly cheaper. The dvd arrived today and right away it seemed fishy. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner to show it to you, but I'll do my best to describe it. On the front, there are 3 bars on the top: "DTS Digital Surround Sound," "Widescreen Version," and "Collector's Edition," with a "Widescreen" bar on the bottom. Besides that, it's the classic T-Rex mouth with Jurassic Park logo. The side of the case displays a really corny looking "Jurassic Park." The back is what really leads me to think this isn't authentic. The UPC is 99-E0001-AB. What's up with that?! Also, subtitles are in English, Korean, Spanish, Thai, Portuguese, French, and Chinese. If this does happen to be a valid disc, please let me know. In the meantime I'll be checking out amazon.com's guarantee policy.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What's the region code on it?

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Sounds like an Asian all-region version. I'd ask for a refund.

4. Tim_Stonesifer

The region code is 1. One other thing: the shrink-wrap looks poorly done. It's not as bad as Blockbuster's used videos, but the edges look like they were cut and then re-sealed. There's even a small amount of burned plastic. Also, there's no sticker seal on the dvd itself.

5. Jeff Kleist

Are there any Chinese characters on the cover? Mispellings? What studio is on there?

6. Tim_Stonesifer

No Chinese characters. There are mispellings, though - "trilling" instead of thrilling and a few others. The cover shows the studio as being Universal Studios.

7. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

You're the proud owner of a bootleg dvd, my friend.
    See if you can return it.

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Even better, report Amazon.com to the MPAA for selling illegal bootlegs in the US! [​IMG]

9. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

That's interesting. If this was a "used" DVD that someone sent in (presumably for money or credit), then someone at quality control wasn't paying attention to what they received. I wonder if they are already selling the Star Wars:OT DVD's? [​IMG]

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The used system on Amazon is point to point- Amazon only acts as a middle man. Amazon never gets the discs, to the best of my knowledge- I think the "used seller" ships directly to the buyer.

-vince

11. Jeff Kleist

You can file a complaint with Amazon, but I doubt it'll really do any good

12. Tim_Stonesifer

I sent an email to the seller and got a rather rude reply from him. I did get him to admit that the DVD he sent me was an import, but he wants me to send the disc back first and then he'll send me my money back. At this point, of course I don't trust him, and I'd rather have the return shipments go the other way around. Any suggestions for how to handle this?

13. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

In my opinion, you should really get Amazon involved in this one. A well-placed phone call to their customer service line will not only get the situation on record, but help them to improve their used sales service. Plus, since the money goes through them via their site, they may be able to assist you as they have all pertinent information about the transaction.

As for the seller himself; He seems to want his product back before the refund is sent, and I can understand your reluctance. I don't see any other way to go about it, unless Amazon has a suggestion or is willing to get involved to ensure satisfaction on both ends.

-g

14. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Also, if you used a credit card, it might be a good idea to dispute this charge (unless Amazon is able to help you out).

Bottom line: make sure Amazon knows this person sold you a bootleg.

Good luck.

15. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

That's a damn shame! It's these type of people that give online shopping, auctions etc. a bad name!

I purchase lots of merchandise on the net, and laugh at some of my freinds that are reluctant to do so. I try to explain to them how to do it smartly and avoid getting ripped off, but it's stories like these that makes it difficult for me to convince them.

16. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Amazon may hold the money for a period (I think I read this under 'how to be a seller' or 'how this works' etc), so get on it with them ASAP. Screw the seller, but get Amazon to do it for you.

17. Jeff Kleist

He admits it's an "import"

Bootleg 100%