Help! I need some help on buying a 10" sub....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Art Simon, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

I've been shopping around lately and the more I look the more confused I get. Here's the list:
    Velodyne 10" Circut City $300 open box (+ tax)
    Paradigm 10" Canada $300 (US) not a far drive
    Polk psw10" Ebay $210 free shipping
    Also looking at Mirage but no price over the phone

Is there a big difference in these subs? What should I look for besides price, specs and warranty? Going to look at some open box Paradigm and Mirage tonight, so I need some help!!!

I might continue to shop around until I get some real good advice or something seems like a real good deal. But I got the bad itch for some more feel in my HT. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

I just got off the phone with Onecall and ordeded my new HK 520 receiver. The salesman recomended the Athena AS-P400 10" subwoofer over the Velodyne. He said they are made by Mirage and perform better. They cost the same so which one should I get? I'm open to all opinions or other models.

3. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

$300 US (maybe +$50) should get you into a PDR 12 rather than 10 if you buy in Canda. I had a 12 vs a 10 and it makes a BIG difference.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’m with Jamie. A 10-incher is just too small for home theater – unless you’re set up in a closet or something.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Art,

Take a look at this review of the Athena AS-P400 subwoofer. Very positive.

I am looking at this subwoofer also as I have space limitations and cannot easily fit anything larger in my listening room.

So get one and give us a review!! [​IMG]

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio has been thinking of making a 10" sub for those in your price range. You may want to drop him a line. Maybe he can come up with something for you. Try www.RutledgeAudio.com.

7. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

Art

Live Wire Audio over in Windsor, Canada sells Paradigm. They are good to deal with. Try giving them a call. I have to agree with the above, unless your room is small don't bother with a 10 inch sub.

If you have the skills and some tools, you can do a nice do it yourself sub. Check out the DIY forum.

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Art,
    I gave you the wrong web site for Brian. He confirmed he could make a 10" sub at the $200-300 range- think of a DLS type sub if what you want doesn't need to be big and you are in a small space. If you need larger he has other options in the $400+ price range with driver at 12' and up. The correct site is www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com
    Good luck!

9. Art Simon

Art Simon Extra

Well after considering all my options I choose to purchase a Velodyne CHT-10. I got it for $279 with a 5 year warranty.
    It has a couple scratches on it, but it can't be seen next to my couch in the corner. I just hooked it up and it seems to work well so far.
    With music I have to turn the volume down quite a bit. But with a DVD I seem to keep turning the volume up on the receiver as well as the sub. Seems strange, why is this? I am using an old Kenwood receiver that only has Dolby Pro logic. But my new HK 520 should be in next week. So maybe it will help.......excuse this dumb question: But is there more then one way to hook it up? I just hooked a Monster cable from the sub out on my receiver to one of the inputs on the sub. What frequency should the knob be on, all the way up?
    Thanks for all the help [​IMG]

10. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

Well, I assume you have a low-level RCA cable connected to the Velo sub. Correct? If this is the case, your old receiver won't provide a sub volume function run in parallel with the volume increase. With Kenwoods, you'll need an extra speaker cable (high-level) instead of the RCA cable to go into the sub. Thus, whenever you move the volume on the receiver, the sub's volume will run in tandem.

Since you have a new H/K receiver coming your way, then what I said above is irrelevant. The new H/K has a "sub out" function which will use the RCA cable and control the sub's volume automatically.

Hope this helps....

11. George Pappas

George Pappas Auditioning

Art

I have a Klipsh KSW 10 powered sub and it performs very well, even in a medium sized room. Mind you my room is smaller and it performs like a beast. A good 10 inch sub can do wonders. If you feel you want to play it safe for any future large room explosions, then go for a 12 or even a 15.

12. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

13. FrederickR

FrederickR Extra