Help I need some Consumer/Retailer Advice (DVD player related)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zak Solo, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

Hi
    About 1 year ago I bought a Sony 735 dvd player. It worked brilliantly until about 3 weeks ago. I sent the player back to Techtronics (UK). The player was saying 'No Disc'.
    Anyway the player was picked up and 'repaired', I was on holiday when the player was returned. Last sunday evening I returned and popped in a disc. The screen was pink??? Nothing would play except music CD's.
    I rang techtronics and told them the player was not working. They told me that because it was now out of warranty I would be charged for any repairs. Surely they had not rectified the fault before they sent the player back to me. Plus I have to pay for sending the player back to them again.
    Any suggestions as to next steps would be appreciated. I am at a loss really and have lost all faith in a Company I had a lot of respect for a year ago.
    Thanks in anticipation of your help

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Zak,
    Was your warranty in effect before you went away 3 weeks ago, and it just fell off of warranty now??
    If so, and they didn't fix it, call this place back up and demand a supervisor, or manager, and explain the situation to him...... If they held the Unit for 3 weeks to beat out the warranty, that's against the law..... If they still give you a hard time, I would contact Sony Corporate offices...... Let them know of the Pour service your getting, I'm sure they will care....
    Good Luck,
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

3. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

Thanks for that.
    Techtronics are being completely unreasonable. The player is just out of warranty (maybe 1 week). I was away over that week although the player was returned within the warranty period.
    I phoned Sony who were excellent. Apparently any repairs made should have a 3 month warranty cover. Clearly Techtronics do not abide by this. The lady at Sony gave me the name of an authorised repair centre near me and as a gesture of goodwill have said they will carry out the repairs free of charge.
    Whilst clearly there are some very reputable on-line traders out there, there are some who do not believe in basic customer service or consumer law.
    I just wanted to thank you for your help and advice.