Help, i need new vehicle insurance!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    State Farm wants to jack up my renewal from approx $700/biannually to over $2k!!

Could someone please recommend a combo Homeowner/vehicle insurance company that they have had a good relationship with that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm with allstate. i have a combo renters/vehicle policy. i think i'm paying approx 700 a year for the entire setup.
    of course, i have a 94 accord...if you have a 2002 corvette ymmv. [​IMG]
    also, check out the progressive.com website - supposedly it's a pretty good one:
    http://www.progressive.com/insurance.asp

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

GAAAAAAAAAAAR state farm SUCKS lately!
    they dropped me, my bike, and my roommates car this summer. They've been jacking rates all over I've read.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I have Travelers. About $650/year for renters/auto combination.

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Henry: OK, so, what did you do?! Run over a bunch of pedestrians in a fit of rage?!! [​IMG]
    In all reality, State Farm raised my rates, too. About $120 per year if I recall correctly.
    What I want to know is this: Who is affordable and customer oriented when it comes to claims? Both times I've had to go to State Farm's claims office I've had to fight tooth and nail to get a damn thing out of them. The last time I was in there was due to hail damage and they refused to examine all available evidence. They claimed the damage was existing, I proved that it was not, and they would not respond to me. When I forced a response they gave me some bullshit answer and denied the claim.
    Everyone around here says, "Oh, State Farm, they're the best. Any time you have a claim they just cut you a check." Well, they don't...

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
  7. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

if you think state farm sucks, try out Farmers. Your rate goes up everytime it renew.. instead of going down it's going up. sup with that?![​IMG] I called around and I found out Allstate is cheaper. Also I heard Nationwide is good too. Good luck!

8. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I think I heard that State farm is trying to get out of the auto insurance business in some states, maybe they want out of Texas. Check out the new Consumer Reports magazine, they have an article on ways to shop for insurance, including a list of web pages.

9. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I'm very happy with Nationwide my renters insurance is pretty comprehensive and it only costs me $150 a year. I also have my car under them and the multiple policy discount is rather nice.

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I have Farmers and they were very good when I was in an accident 3 years ago. But yeah, my rates have gone up every single year. If I get a house next year I'll need homeowners insurance and I'll probably drop Farmers and go with someone else for homeowners and auto all at once, or sooner since my auto is up in February.

11. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

12. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I really like Progressive. It was the cheapest deal I found by far and I love their web site.

I pay my 6-month policy in full and I get close to a $200 discount! Without the discount, the rate was the same as Geico, which I had before.

13. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I'll also reccoment Progressive, it's only going to cost me an xtra $400 or so for 6 months to insure my new A4. (I have a '00 Merc Mystique as well that my wife will drive)

14. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Henry,

Ditto what Ryan said.

I have State Farm and swear by them ..... for the moment.
    Why or what caused the 300%+ rate hike? Did you even ask?

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I've had State Farm as a homeowner's policy for 21 years now. Had two claims: both were settled rapidly and without hassle.

Right now my auto policy is with CSAA (AAA Northern Calif.). Again I've been with them for 23 years and only two small claims (break-in, rock broke windshield). No problems settling with them either. I've been told AAA Southern Calif. is very different.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

state farm settled my motorcycle claim in the most excellent manner, of course they promptly cancelled my policy because of it.

However, since I own an italian bike with no local shop, I mailed them photos of the damage with an index of parts, prices, plus shipping, and they cut a check no questions asked and allowed me to do the work myself, saving me a 300 mile drive to minnepolis. Exxxxxxxxxcellent because I don't trust mechanics with my baby.

17. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

I dunno. I have had nothing but good luck with Farmer's for 5 years now. Rates haven't gone up at all this past year, at least significantly. I'd be on the phone with State farm asking for any reasonable justification for such a high hike. Ouch.

Michael.

18. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Bill and everyone,

Heres what i found out. In friggin January i had a small accident.

I switched lanes on the highway and started sliding,it was raining.

I was trying to regain control of my truck fishtailing (i coulda sworn i was in auto 4wd, but wasnt) when on one of my fishtails, i hit the car in the right lane on the rear, drivers side door.

Well, when i hit, i totally lost control and slid off the highway into the grass. I saw the car i hit pull over onto the shoulder and exit. I pulled into a gas station and the lady pulled in behind me.

Her door was smashed in and i had a tiny dent on my bumper.

We talked and waited for the police.

Well, 9 months later, i find out that she collected $6,000 for pain and suffering from my insurance!!

Im like WHAT?????

So, thats why they hiked up my insurance. And thats why insurance goes up, people always want to collect shit, all they see is dollar signs.

So, im looking for another company now.

19. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I have GEICO with no problems...I looked at Progressive also, but GEICO came in with the best deal...

I have 02 Excursion, 98 Expedition, 98 Cobra, 82 Bronco, 97 Ninja, RM250, and SeaDoo all with the same company. So it might be an issue of the more you buy, the cheaper it gets.

My homeowners is State Farm and it has gone through the roof in the last 2 years...

Tim K.

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer