Help!, I Need Fm Back!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I went from the Sony STRDE-835 to the DA5ES and out went my FM reception(well not totally). Is there a inexpensive FM antenna that will WORK for under 50.00? Or if I have to go higher in price, what will it cost me. Some days I have no problem and others [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thank you for your help:b

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

before i suggest an antenna (radio shack) mount it high!, is there any chance your cable company is also running an FM feed? If so that might be an option. often its not mentioned but some do it...call them.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Chu, I use Direct TV. My wire antenna is as high as length allowed.
    I was hoping that someone would say " I HAVE THIS ***** POWERED ANTENNA AND IT WORKS GREAT ".
    Thank you

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Powered antennas...hmmm those work on the principle of boosting the signal. Powered antennas will also amplify noise and multipath in addition to the signal. Now "IF" your problem is truly low signal strength instead of the rather typical multipath issues, then it may be worth a shot. Their success in a city/apartment evironment is not for a betting person. In wide open areas...maybe [​IMG]
    Brands to consider would be Terk, and the Shack has some stuff. You can always return stuff to the Shack and since they're just about everywhere, that's the first place I'd consider.
    You could always try making one out of 300 ohm wire
    For outside mounting, assuming you can, log periodics provide the ability to pull in the general FM band.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    So you can't use directv for FM? I too am having some trouble with FM reception. I need an antenna that will help pick up weaker signals. I have heard unamplified radio shack ones are good. I never thought about using the cable from the tv cable company or dtv, will that work?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dan, Jeff,
    Is an attic-mounted antenna an option? I’ve had good luck with this
    omni-directional antenna from Radio Shack.
    If you live in a rural area, this directional antenna would be a better choice.
    Alternately, a regular TV antenna can be used, but they are directional as well.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

So can I run a splitter from my local antenna to the back of my receiver?
    I live in a house in a suburb of Tulsa and don't want to put up another attic antenna.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think(?) fm is between channels 6 and 7, so the answer is that'll probably work.

9. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Dan
    Does your DE835 still provide good FM
    reception, if so its possible Sony put out two defective DA5ES receivers, I have the
    first one. To answer your question I have used the Magnum Dynalab ST2 with good results with the DA5ES, and Yamaha RX-V1,
    I also use Fanfares FM2G similar in design to the ST2. See www.audioadvisor.com for
    Magnum Dynalabs ST2 Details and
    www.fanfare.com for FM2G details. Both maybe used indoors or out. I live about 20 miles from the transmitting station.

10. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Gerard, I do not feel that my DA5ES is defective, on the contrary it gets better each day. Yes, the reception of my 835 was better but I have also added a sub and dvd player since with a lot more wires in the back to interfere with. Thank you for your suggestions as I try to find a possible way to conceal such antennas as you suggested.