HELP! i need expert advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javon_W, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

hey im 20 years old and moved out on my own and have been looking to get a home theater in my apt. Im not an audiophile but i have been raised in an enviornment where my uncle and father have great sounding speakers and setups and i would like to achieve great sound with a tight budget. Now i have been interested in the HTDlevel 3 setup and have already purchased and waiting shipment but my main concern is about my receiver, my father "gave" me a sony STR-DE1075 but have been looking in other forums and review sites but i hear alot about denon and onkyo and was wondering if i should get one of those instead? will my receiver power my speakers enuff or should i buy a new receiver? also about the subwoofer, alot of peeps said not to get the HTD level 3 receiver and i have been hearing of SVS and was wondering if it is too "BOOMY" for apartment use (im on the first floor and use my computer to play music with my klipsh promedia 4.1 to play music loud and noone has complained) so i was wondering which route i should go with that or is there another sub thats just a good and im willing to spend about 500 bux on a sub...thanks alot if u can help me out guys

2. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

If you got that receiver as a gift, it's definitely not worth buying a new one. There are certainly better receivers out there, but the 1075 seems like a solid, versatile unit, and it will certainly serve you well for the time-being. Eventually, you'll want to upgrade, but the Sony should be fine for at least the next 3 or 4 years. In regards to speakers, what kind of budget do you have? HTD level III's are supposed to be nice, and in that general range, I'd take a look at Axiom, Swan Divas, nOrh, PSB, and Paradigm. There are going to be a lot of varying opinions on which brand to choose, so try to audition some for yourself before taking the plunge. I know that Axiom and Swan Divas (through av123) allow 30-day trials on their speakers, so you'd only have to pay for return shipping if you prefer one over the other. For the sub, the SVS 25-31 PCi is a good buy at $500, as is the HSU VTF-2. I wouldn't worry about it being too much for your apartment; it's going to be great-sounding bass and you can adjust the volume as required, of course. Good luck.

3. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Thanks a bunch, my dad gave it to me since he bought some new top of the line ES model and just handed it down to me. Also was looking at paradigms but could not find where to buy them and how much each speaker was so i gave up, i did not know about divas until after i ordered the HTD's but it was a good deal since i can send them back if i dont like them and my girlfriend didnt like the look of them when i showed her (she is so weird i know) and i didnt know about axioms until afterwards either but HTD has good reviews and alot of peeps are happy with it so im going to give them a try. Also should i get AR speaker wire 16 gauge or monster xp wire, my cousin works in best buy and i get a really good discount so i was wondering if there is a difference, thanks alot :b

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

You don't need any expensive Monster speaker wire. Just go to Home Depot and get some 12 gauge speaker wire, that will work just as fine as the Monster.

5. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

Yeah, I second that. Skip on the monster cable. Go for the AR if you can get a deal on it.

6. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

I also work at best buy. You should get your cousin to buy you twice as much 16g AR wire as you need and you can double up on it effectively creating 13g wire. Should be no more than $25 for 200ft.

7. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Cool, i'll get him to get me that then. I dont know about speaker stuff but the higher the gauge the better the speaker will sound? And my living room is not huge and i cannot put my rear speakers behind me only to the opposite sides of the sofa so is that good enough? im sorry for the moronic noob questions but you guys are really helpful and im trying to make my first hometheater as good as i can for now until i buy a house in the next few years. thanks guys you all rock [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

You actually have it reversed with the wire. The lower the gauge... the thicker the wire... the less resistance you get from receiver to speaker... the clearer the sound. So if you combine 2 16 guage wires per speaker, you'll get a thicker wire and lower gauge, 13 gauge as Jason pointed out.
    Greg.

9. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

In terms of the gauge of the cable, it will theoretically only matter if you have a long length of cable. I believe that 16 gauge is good for up to a 30ft run (but doubling might be a good idea for the rears just to be safe); after that, doubling it would be a noticeable improvement. 16g should be fine for your fronts and center, though. Check out the dolby website - they have a number of recommendations for rear speaker placement; I believe that the ideal is to have identical speakers 2-3' above the listener, slightly behind, and pointing inwards from the sides. That will be covered at the dolby website, though. Good luck.

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

The only point of having different guage wires is the actual length you are running to your speakers.

The longer the run of wire to your speakers the thicker (less gauge) wire you need.

The longer the distance to your speakers, the more attenuation (signal loss) you have. The thicker gauge wire prevents attenuation more than thin wire. You will be fine with 16, 14, or 12 gauge wire. Don't go above 16 though.

Hope this helps...

11. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

oh ok thanks for that info my father told me wrong then, he has 16 gauge monster and told me the higher the gauge the better is sounds LOL thanks for setting me straight [​IMG]. I havent gotten any speaker wire yet so im going to ask my cousin if he knows how to double it up, if not i know where to go [​IMG].

12. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

You really don't even need to double it up. The 16 gauge would be fine by itself. I personally don't think it would make a difference.

13. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

Oh ok thats cool then since my living room is not that huge anyway. Also are the HTD lvl3 "Y" setup good for a medium sized room? I read alot of you guys like them but prefer axiom and divas but i didnt know about them until after i heard about HTD's and i read the reviews and i have a rectangular sized living room and oddly shaped and read that oddly shaped rooms are good for sound.

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have never listened to HTD speakers before, but I did just get a pair of Axiom M3ti's and they are *incredible* for only $250. They easily beat out my Paradigm Mini Monitors which I paid over $300 for.

Actually, my Mini Monitors are on ebay right now because of the Axioms.