Help! I need CIV3 Tips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry C, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,
    I started playing CIV with the original game and now I'm starting CIV3. I can never really beat the game at the highest levels, though I can hang in there for a while in CIV2 at the King level. I know thats probably pretty lame to most people. I am hoping to do better with CIV3, so I want to get started with some tips. Hopefully, you guys can give me a hand in mastering this game.
    I just have a couple of rules when I play that I try to stick to, and it seems to do pretty well....up to the King level in CIV2.
    For CIV2
    Basically, I try to build as many cities as possible. Preferably in localtions with resources and space them apart so that they don't overlap each other. I defend them with a lot of troops and build out irrigation and mines. Then I invest as much in science as possible and race up the tech tree. Then I just try to defend well and try to win via the spaceship.
    I have a feeling that this is not going to work in CIV3. First of all, the computer AI seems much tougher and the same strategies does not seem to be working for me.
    So I am hoping that you guys can give me tips on what I should do in the early games and some long term strategies.
    1) Should I try to space out the cities so that their resource squares don't overlap? And does resources make a BIG difference in the development of a city?
    2) Is the number of cities the key to victory? In any type of victory?
    3) Is racing up the science tree a good strategy if I neglect military development (offensive) and commerce?
    That's all I can think of at the moment, anything that you guys can help me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Henry

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Henry,
    Yeah, that Civ II strategy worked well for me also. However, Civ III is definitely a horse of a different color due to the better AI, culture, strategic resources, luxeries, and corruption. I am still playing on Monarch level as I learn the new strategies. A good site with a decent strategy forum is:
    http://apolyton.net/civ3/
    Your strategy will definitely be different, depending on which civ you play. A military civ will need to build a military and go to war immediately. An expansionist will need to explore like crazy. The others will want to go for controlled expansion. You still need to build a fair amount of cities, but due to corruption you will want to expand in a kind of donut, away from your capital. A popular strategy seems to be to create a dumbbell shape for your empire with one set of cities around your Palace and another around the Forbidden Palace.
    Ratcheting down your science to 20% seems to be important until later in the game. Also, if you can find a lot of luxuries you can trade them to other civs for technology. You probably need to have one city, initially, be your resource center to crank out wonders. At least one more should be a settler generator. The others can alternate between settlers and other things, until you get 20-30 cities (it is difficult to expand beyond that until you get a new government and a Forbidden Palace). Temples are extremely important in Civ III, not just for their happiness effects, but for the cultural expansion of your cities.
    Which tribe are you playing? We can probably offer more specific hints knowing what kind of tribe you are using.
    Kenneth
    [Edited last by Kenneth on November 13, 2001 at 09:35 PM]

3. Henry C

Right now, I'm using the Germans. But I might consider this since I chose the Germans based on what I would do in CIV2. But for now, I guess it's the Germans.
    Henry

4. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Since the Germans are a Militaristic Scientific civ your primary early game activity will be to go to war. Your early expansion should alternate between settlers and soldiers (you can probably ignore buildings, other than a barracks). Send your troups out to scout and find your nearby opponents and then move your troups in. The Germans require a fairly aggressive playing style. I would recommend a small or medium map and either continents or Pangea style so you can get to your opponents faster. Once you have two or three strong resource cities you can slow your expansion and concentrate on war. If there is another military civ nearby take them out first, before they do the same to you. If there are only cultural civs then capture their cities and collect gold and technology to make peace. That would be my recommendation.
    As to your questions:
    1) Should I try to space out the cities so that their resource squares don't overlap? And does resources make a BIG difference in the development of a city?
    Don't overlap the 20 squares of developed space available to the city. Don't worry about the culture areas overlapping, that is actually good and doesn't subtract from the cities expansion. The strategic resources can be important (Iron, Horses, etc) to strong militaries. The luxuries can be critical for civ happiness. Build cities near or on the strategic resource or luxury. Once it is in your cultural boundary build a road to it to reap the benifits.
    2) Is the number of cities the key to victory? In any type of victory?
    You get points for land area, but it is not as critical in Civ 3 to build massive empires. A smaller stronger empire can be more useful in Civ 3 for cultural, diplomatic, and space victories. Military and Domination victories will require large empires (or small maps). Happiness is measured over time in your cities, also, so you can't make your cities happy at the last minute before victory and get points.
    3) Is racing up the science tree a good strategy if I neglect military development (offensive) and commerce?
    Not as the Germans, since they are militaristic. If you want to pursue a tech tree race I would recommend one of the civs below or the Greeks (Scientific Commercial), Babylon (Scientific Religious), or China (Scientific Industrious). The Scientific civs get scientific improvements (library, university) at half price and a bonus tech when they enter a new age.
    If you wish to play an expansion strategy, similar to your Civ 2 strategy I would play as Egypt (Religious Industrious), India (Religious Commercial), America (Expansionist Industrial), England (Expansionist Commercial), or the French (Industrial Commercial). They will tend to expand more peacefully and get bonuses to their industry (workers work twice as fast in Industrial civs), their commerce (less corruption in Commercial civs), or their expansion (scouts and better hut results for Expansionist civs). The religious civs get religious improvements (temple, cathedral) at half price and can change governments with only 1 turn of anarchy. These will all work best on large and huge maps and continents/archipeligos.
    I am playing as the French on a Huge Archipeligo map so my strategies are actually quite different. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Kenneth
    [Edited last by Kenneth on November 14, 2001 at 05:31 AM]
    [Edited last by Kenneth on November 14, 2001 at 05:44 AM]

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ya, can't wait for those Panzers, eh? They're cool even though they have the same stats as a "tank" the movement of 3 is cool and allows you to retreat on almost any industrial age or older unit. Super offensive weapon.
    The number of cities you have is also dependent on your government. Corruption is one big difference between the older Civ games and Civ3. Sometimes having bigger but less cities is better than having more but smaller cities due to corruption. For example, under communism, the affect of corruption for cities farther from the capital is less than almost any of the other governments, however, there is a penalty under communism on the amount of cities you have.
    The type of game you play also has a bearing on the Civs you play. As the Germans (Militaristic/Scientific) you also have the ability to build libraries and universitys cheaper than non-scientific civs which means that after a temple, you should build a library in all your cities quickly to get that science pumped out. Also, if you play one of those civs that gets a good special unit early, such as the Iroquis, Aztecs, or those pesky Persian (immortals), you should be very aggressive in the beginning as you should have an offensive advantage to anything the enemy can produce, except perhaps the Greeks (hoplites).
    I think on the easier levels (Warlord, Chieftan) I think the AIs are more peaceful. I wouldn't know cause my first two small games, I've been hugely the agressor.
    As far as the tech tree and getting it as quickly, if you're on an island, then barracade the island and grow (you obviously want to get ships to expand) but if you're on a continent with those pesky persians or iroquis, then you might want to bolster up your defense. I've read a cool tip from Apolyton and on Civfanatics.com about capturing cities and selling them back to the original owner, the AI tends to offer you alot of money and it's a great way to get technology that's optional. I typically ignore every optional tech, except for some of the cool ones that you may need like Monarchy, or Military Tradition (military acadamys->armies). Then usually I'll easily get a bunchload of the optional techs when demanding peace. Of course, if you're going cultural, you'll want to pick up the techs that allow you the Wonders like JS Bach I think you need Music Theory which is optional and I guess the only reason you'd research that is to get the JS Bach Great Wonder.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGGBEES!
    Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
    Obscuria.

6. Henry C

Guys,
    Thanks for the tips so far, I'm going to have to rethink my pick of civs. I'm not sure what kind of strategies I should be persuing at this point. I'm still stuck on a lot of the CIV2 mentality. I'm going to have to reprogram myself and try a few different civs to see what kind of strategy I am going to persue. Thanks for the help.
    Henry