1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help: I need a multisystem, region-free portable DVD player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Barnhart, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Well, I tried this in the Hardware forum and got no replies, so I will try it in here where all the Region-Free gurus are.
    I am looking for a portable DVD player that can be used in both the USA and Europe and has the following features:
    1) Codefree
    2) Works with RCE discs
    3) On the builtin screen, can playback both NTSC and PAL DVD's.
    4) Can be used with both 110/120V and 220/240V power (USA and Europe)
    5) Can output NTSC to an external NTSC TV
    6) Can output PAL and NTSC to an external PAL TV.
    7) Doesn't have to output PAL to an external NTSC TV, although that would be a nice feature.
    8) Has some kind of non-digital audio output so I can hook up the analog sound to non-digital receivers or directly to a TV.
    9) Would be nice if it doesn't break the bank!
    Does anyone know of such a portable DVD player? Of course, the longer the battery life, and the bigger the screen, the better it is, but beggars can't be choosers.
    Thanks for any help!
    Scott
    ------------------
    Scott Barnhart
    [email protected]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Here's the problem in what you're asking. You need to get a European hacked model, it's going to cost an outrageous amount.
    This is the only one I could find, it SHOULD play PAL and NTSC
    http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_panasonic_lv75.htm - $1099

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I believe your best bet is to go to a site like http://www.dvdupgrades.ch and look for portable models you're aware of and see whether they fit your bill (after region-free modification).
    The voltage difference should be the smallest of your problems, as I would imagine at worst you just need a second adapter with the other voltage.
    Obviously, a region-free portable has no problems showing both PAL and NTSC on its built-in screen. What external connectors are on the machine and what they support is more a questions of the model, I guess.
    Hope this helps,
    -Christian

4. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Thank-you both for the replies. Unfortunately, if you look at the comparison chart at codefreedvd.com, it specifically says the Panasonic LV75 can NOT output NTSC to a PAL TV.
    Also, Christian, the reason I mentioned wanting the ability to play both PAL and NTSC on the builtin screen, is that some places selling code-free portables (mindlogic.com for one) specifically say that their models can NOT play PAL DVD's on the builtin screen. Hence my comment wanting to make sure about it.
    I did find a Shinco 960 model that has all of the features I want, but there are a couple of problems: 1) I can't find a place in the US that seems to sell them, and 2) Isn't this the same company that makes the Apex players? My AD600A has enough problems that I am wondering if I will encounter similar problems with their portable.
    Any more info gladly accepted! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott Barnhart
    [email protected]

5. Dave C.

Dave C. Auditioning

I have a multiregion L75 and can confirm that the unit cannot output NTSC but only does PAL 60 for NTSC material. This is no problem for me as PAL 60 is fine running through my projector altough i cannot adjust the HUE of the image, which is not to much of an issue.
    The Unit is a fantastic piece of kit though. I have seen it selling for around £699 (MR) around these parts which is a fair price. The battery last 3-4 hours and the power unit supplied upconverts and downconverts to the required voltage wherever you go in the world which is neat.
    Anyway just my 2 c.

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    You may want to investigate the Sony FX-1 or the Sharp DV-L80S. They both have the features you want (barring PAL to NTSC conversion).
    The Techtronics modified Sony FX-1 was NASA's choice for the ISS, which is a pretty good endorsement. It costs about $1300.
    The Sharp is about $150 cheaper but can play DVD-RW discs.
    Adam