HELP - I need a monitor for my son

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Garvey, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Tom Garvey

Tom Garvey Stunt Coordinator

Hello all..

I need a TV or 'game specific' monitor for my son for an X-mas gift. He's 10 years old and the TV will be for gaming only. SNES and Dreamcast need to be hooked up to it. At the moment the SNES has "s-video" and the Dreamcast is composite. I'd like to keep it at or below $200.. maybe 19"?

What would be best?

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Tom,

If you're thinking of a computer monitor, then you can forget about it, at least if you want to connect both the SNES and the DC to it.

A computer monitor would work for the DC with a VGA adaptor, but there is no PC/VGA monitor you can directly connect a SNES to. The reasons for this are that there is no VGA connector for the SNES, but more importantly, PC monitors cannot deal with frequencies games consoles, VCRs, etc produce. (The DC with the adaptor does produce the needed frequencies, as it contains a slightly modified PC graphics chipset anyway.)

Bottom line, in your price range you'll have to scoop out TV deals. Maybe eBay would be a good starting point to see what's available?

Cheers,

-Christian

3. Tom Garvey

Tom Garvey Stunt Coordinator

Crap.. Did I say SNES? I meant N64.. Does the same hold true for N64?

Not necessarily a computer monitor... I just thought that maybe one of these companies made monitors specifically for gaming or something...

Thanks Christian!

4. DaveM

DaveM Extra

Tom, I do remember some company producing this gaming monitor that had speakers mounted to it but I am not sure of the specs or if it was any different then a regular TV. My suggestion would be to pick up a higher end Sony, Toshiba, or Panasonic TV with component and S-video connectons. It may be a little more than you are looking to spend though. I play on a 32 Sony Wega and the picture is great! Dreamcast is going through S-video while my Xbox is through composite (until I can find the Advanced AV pack)and both look great. Just my opinion on your situation.

DaveM