Help! I might have messed up when buying my multi-disc DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob T, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I've been building up my home theater for a few months now. A couple months ago, I got a Toshiba SD-3805 and a JVC RX-7520VBK. Last night, I got a Onkyo SKS-HT500 speaker set.
    Today, when I went to hook it all up with my dad, we noticed that the connections on the player weren't exactly compatible with the connections on the receiver.
    I was under the impression that any DVD player (even cheap ones) could do 5.1 sound if it was hooked up to a good enough receiver. Am I totally wrong about that? If I am then I guess I got messed up when buying my player which is wierd since I told the salesman that the main reason that I'm getting all this is for the 5.1 sound and he seemed to understand.

2. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Your setup should be compatible with 5.1 surround. Use a digital connection from your DVD player to your receiver. You will also need to make the appropriate selections in your setup menus for your dvd player and receiver.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

ok. Thanks. I guess we just gotta keep working at it then. [​IMG]

4. AdamM

AdamM Extra

You will need to purchase and Optical audio cable, also called a Toslink cable. You can get one at Wal-Mart for for about $16-$25. Plug one end into the optical out on the DVD Player and the other on the optical input on your Receiver. Next you will need to change the output setting on the DVD Player to Bitstream, Dolby Digital, or DTS (Check you manual). Next assign the Optical input on your Receiver to your DVD Player (again check the manual). You should be good to go. Play a movie and your receiver should switch to Dolby Digital when it detects the signal. BTW, I didn't think I had mine set up right because the menus are not in DD or DTS, so start the movie.

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

yeah I got an optical cable from the future shop when I got the player and receiver.
    the cable goes from the Digital 2 (CD) input on the receiver to the optical bitstream/PCM output on the player.
    Theres also a coax input right above the optical input that says Digital 1 (DVD) and I think that would hook up to the coax Bitstream/PCM output.
    the audio output is on bitstream/PCM at 96 Hz (45Hz is also available).
    theres also just a regular PCM setting for the audio output.
    I got my LOTR FOTR EE disc in now and audio is coming out the left front and center. the sub is working too, but nothing else.
    I think the solution is that I gotta go through the receiver instruction manual with my dad. If we can't get it going then we'll see if we can get a professional to fix it up for us. [​IMG]

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The TV and VCR sound seem to be working fine now.

The DVD sound is another matter. When using DD5.1 sound, the center and front right spekers are deactivated while all the others work fine.
    I still gotta check DTS, too.