help? I know so little....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DaisyDog, Aug 6, 2006.

1. DaisyDog

DaisyDog Auditioning

I just bought a new panasonic 50" plasma and I want to mount it on the wall of my family room. as well I am contemplating installing in-ceiling speakers and I am confused about a few things.

1. how high from the floor does one mount a 50" tv? I don't want it to high or too low. I have a toddler so it would be mighty tempting for her if it is too low.

2. any suggestions on in-ceiling speakers? And what do people do with the center channel? do they mount that one under the tv?

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on these topics.

Much appreciated, B

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. This link is for projector screens but it should be applicable in this situation. link
    2. What little experience I've had with in-ceiling speakers, I wouldn't use them as my main speakers. The quality of the ones I've hear just isn't as good as towers or bookshelf speakers with the proper room placement. If you have to use them, there are many companies. A few bargain ones are Home Theater Direct and Dayton by Parts Express.

-Robert

3. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Daisy,

Can't help you on the mounting height, but with the speakers, do not use inceiling speakers for your mains. You can use them for your surrounds. But if WAF or other factors prevent you from using tower or bookshelf, use inwall speakers for the mains and center. I used NHT IW3's for all of my speakers and am quite happy with them.

On Edit: With inwall/inceiling speakers, the low end is lacking so you will need a quality sub. I strongly recommend SVS subs.

4. DaisyDog

DaisyDog Auditioning

thanks for the help. All the best,

5. SoCalSooner

SoCalSooner Auditioning

I have read somewhere that the middle of the plasma screen should be at eye level.[​IMG]

6. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

The Center of the Screen should be no higher (in the perfect world) then 15 degrees up from your seated viewing position or the top shouldn't be higher than 30 degrees up from you seated viewing postion to the top of the TV. This is just a general rule and there's so many installs that we have done where this is just not possible. If you are going higher I would suggest using a mounting bracket that has a tilting feature. It really helps when tv's are mounted higher.