Help...I keep resetting my computer's clock and it falls behind

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam C., Feb 3, 2003.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

I have been resetting the clock on my computer daily for a few weeks now. When I reset it, it is just a matter of hours before it falls behind. Any idea what is wrong?

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Prolly the Cmos battery, get a replacement...

3. JoshuaIan

JoshuaIan Auditioning

agreed, cmos battery... you can pick one up at radioshack or just about anywhere

4. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

what exaclty is that, can I replace it myself (only thing computer related I did was install a network card), and how much is it?

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Check the documentation for your PC or motherboard, most of them nowadays use a lithium button similar to those used in calculators and watches. The CR2032 is a common one. You can get them at RadioShack, usually around $3 or so.

If you don't have any documentation, open up the cover and look for the battery. Yes you can replace it yourself, it just pops in and out.

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I agree with the stuff people here said.

If you remember the battery for the Dreamcast VMU, it SHOULD be the same one. It's slightly larger than a nickel and about twice as thick. Radio Shack or Best Buy would have them, just be sure to check the number on the battery to make sure you have the right one. There are two models that are pratically the same size, but I'm pretty sure they arent interchangeable. Just check the number on the old battery before you run out to get a new one. It should be something like CR2032. [​IMG]

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It is most likely your CMOS battery that is not keeping the time up to date. When you shut your PC off without the battery it has no way of keeping power or time.

First To replace the battery remove the power to your computer and open your case. look around on the motherboard Somewhere on it (Usually towards the sides and bottom) there will be a watch looking battery that is held in place by a simply thumb clip. Just pull the clip back and the battery will pop out (you may have to push on 1 edge of the battery slightly). Take the battery with you to Radio Shack or a similar store to make sure that you get the same battery and then replace it.

KyleS

8. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Battery would be the first thing to change, but I have seen motherboards eat batterys... IE new battery dieing after a month of use. Prob a short in the motherboard somewhere or possibly the cmos is toast. 95 out of 100 times its just the battery

9. David Hudson

David Hudson Auditioning

If the clock is only falling behind, I would not blame the problem on the CMOS battery. Most computers are not very accurate time keepers, although this seems to be an extreme case. I would recommend a program such as nistime-32bit.exe. You can download this program from here: http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Its pretty easy to tell if its your computers time clock or the batter actually.

Does it fall behind if you leave your computer on 24x7? or does it keep time just fine but when you shut your computer down at night its off when you restart? If its the second option then you dont have to worry about linking your computer up with the atomic clock in Bolder (though its not a bad idea) its just the CMOS not updating due to lack of power.

KyleS

11. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

When I first got my new computer with Windows XP my computer would lose time about every six days without fail. The solution, for me, was turning off the option to 'automatically synchronize with an Internet time server.' If you're running XP, it might not hurt to try disabling this "feature."