What's new

Help, I just got my Philips 963SA and's it's the wrong region (1 Viewer)

Mark Krawiec

Agent
Just got it from J&R. It was set up for PAL and region 2. I got it changed to ntsc (believe me, not easy trying to follow OSM when the screen is rolling fast!!!) but I still can't play region one discs. Philips wants me to send it back, but that seems like a hassle.

It's there an easy hack for this? I mean, I don't want to void my warranty, but really, it's annoying that it was delivered this way in the first place.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't know what the hack for region 1 would be, but if you don't "mind" hacking for region-free playback, do a search on AVSForum for "RC6 hack", and you'll probably find what you need.

_Man_

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And instead of sending him to AVS, I might point out that if he is willing to go to the trouble of finding a hack for the Region 2 player then I don't see how shipping the unit back to Philips is a "hassle." Just swap out players.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Jack, sorry about the AVS redirection.

RE: the hassle thing, from what I'm hearing, it just MIGHT be more hassle to deal w/ Philips customer service for returning players. But if you do want to go that route, make sure you call them up for proper procedure. Do NOT simply follow the written instructions that came w/ the player. You might live to regret it(!).

Mark, too bad you don't live here in NYC or you could just bring it to the store for exchange.

_Man_

Mark Krawiec

Agent
Thanks Man-Fai

I already called Philips and they are supposedly sending out a return authorization letter. After that, I can ship it back. And that's what I'll probably end up doing. As far as the hack, well, if I do it and screw up, well, try explaining that to Philips.

Still, I'll end up paying shipping one way because of an error at Philips or J&R. :angry:

I did not purchase some grey market item. If I had a pronto or the proper remote, well, I probably couldn't help but do it. But I will just send it back. I would call J&R, but it's closer to the repair center in Tenessee. My shipping will be lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks