Help, I just don't get it!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BradVan, Oct 12, 2003.

1. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

I need help with basically one question guys. I have asked this before, but perhaps I didn't word properly what response I was looking for. So here it goes again: I have Directv and I would like to get a widescreen, but I don't intend to upgrade to Directv's HD dish until more HD channels come available. So would the picture on the widescreen look good with the current dish I have? I ask this because all the widescreens in the stores look bad when a HD channel is not being shown. This may be a dumb question, but I can't lay down the cash for a widscreen if the picture will look as bad as they do in the stores. The guys at ABC and Sears said that the pictures would look like they do in the store, and the guy at Circuit city said The picture would look like it does when I play a DVD. I am so confused [​IMG] Please Help!

2. Paul Pratt

Paul Pratt Stunt Coordinator

Paul Pratt
    It depends on how you hook up the receiver. As long as you are using an S-Video connection, or if you have it on your dish receiver, componenet video, it will look pretty decent. Satellite is a digital signal, so it will be much improved over most of what is coming into stores that is non-HD.
    The only thing you will have to worry about is aspect ratio, and all that stuff. Stretching and zooming, etc.

3. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

BradVan

Standard Definition performace will vary depending on the TV that you decide to purchase.

A good friend of mine purchased a HD Hitachi last year that I thought looked absolutely horrible with SD. On the other hand a ED Panasonic plasma looked particulary good with SD.

4. BradVan

BradVan Auditioning

Even If I upgraded to Directv's HD dish, there would still be channels that are not HD. So those channels would look bad? So are you guys just using the widescreens's to watch movies?

5. Paul Pratt

Paul Pratt Stunt Coordinator

Paul Pratt
    "Looking Bad" is completely relative. You can't go into buying a television with that in your head, you have to go out and look. I've gone to stores and seen over the air signal that is pretty decent, and Satellite will look a whole lot better then that.
    My decent, or their decent is all different then your decent, so you need to go out to the stores and just look.

6. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I'm afraid I disagre that satellite will look beter than OTA. In fact, it is probably the exact opposite.

What soze TV do you have now? And what size widescren are you looking at getting?

The greater the difference in size between what you have now and what you will be getting, the greater chance you will notice the compression artifiacts introduced over Directv. If you are watching a 27 inch tv and change to a 56 inch tv, you will definately notice. The picture looks bad now, it is just too small to see the bad...

7. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Just a thought ( I`m in a bashing NTSC signal mood ! ).
    NTSC is 330 lines , all the rest is done within the sets electronics. SD 480i , and DVD the best (for now) 480p.
    Happy Veiwing [​IMG]
    Gary