1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! I have the upgrade bug.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DustinF, Oct 21, 2003.

1. DustinF

DustinF Agent

I have 3 of these as my LCR in a 5.1 setup.
    SCH- K05B50

And a Tempest in a sealed enclosure.

Room demensions-
    25l x 14w x 9h
    Couch in middle facing a projector screen.
    Carpet throughout with back left opening up to 25' ceilings.

I would like to move these speakers to the back and put something in the front.

Reasons-

As a center channel, it sounds weak to me. I have to run it very high in the receiver setup to get ok sound. Even then, wispers are not very clear and I have to strain to hear them. (This might be room acoustics in which case I wouldn't know where to begin.)

Please help me out with some suggestions in the under $500 range.

If there is nothing that will give a considerable difference then let me know that too.
    And if I could possibly use the same boxes to save in cost.

Thanks.

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

For new LCR I'd go with GR-Research AV2's. I have 5 of them and couldn't be happier. VERY high quality especially for the extremely reasonable price. You could get 1.5 kits (3 speakers) well within your budget if you build the enclosures.

Darren

3. DustinF

DustinF Agent

Would this be more beneficial than buying something like Klipsch or Paradigm?

The reason I ask is because I can demo name brands, but I can't demo DIY.

If I had a chance to demo my current DIY speakers, I wouldn't have bought them. I did it because of recommendations on this board for a good bang for buck solution.

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Well, it would definately be a much better value assuming you liked the qualities of the speaker. I used to own Paradigm Mini Monitor 3's and on a leap of faith built the AV2's (AV1+'s at the time). I couldn't be happier with my choice but listening preferences are subjective.

Maybe someone near you has built a piar you could listen to.