What's new

Help I broke my scanner! (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Ok, I did a bad thing. I got a new Epson 1650 Photo Scanner and I noticed some very faint "stains" on the rear of the glass. I went to clean it with a soft cloth and a tiny bit of windex but that didn't work, so I figuered it must be on the other side. Anyway, I took the cover off, which was extremely easy, much more than expected, and I cleaned the other side, making sure it was dry before putting back on.
So now I get a white band coming down all my scans. Does this mean dirt has fallen on the lens, or whatever? I know nothing about the mechanics of scanners so where should I be looking to get rid of this dirt? I already sprayed with a can of compressed air and that didn't help. It was worse yesterday, though, I had three bands and two were a different color. If I can't clean it without taking anything apart, excpet the cover, I won't bother. I'll just take it back and play dumb. And I won't feel bad either since the "stains", which so far don't seem to affect scans, can not be whipped clean.
You can see a scan here:
http://members.shaw.ca/majestyk/epson.jpg
Thanks,
Jeff

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Like you suggested, take it back and play dumb. If the band was black, I would have said it was dirt on the scanning bar. But what your sample shows looks more like a defect than dirt. Maybe the compressed air jolted something loose...
Very important lesson here! Never open up ANY electronic component... at least not until the warranty expires! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks