Help, I am on the fence about a cheap 32" Flat or pop for a 48" to 58" RPTV and which

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rolando, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

What would I do without the HTF?

I am sure this question must get asked a million times a week but I guess it is my turn.

Here are my thoughts. I NEED A NEW TV.

I used to have a 64" Elite pro 710 and I MISS IT! Now I have been suffering with a 25+ year old 19" no name brand TV for a little while and I need an upgrade. Here is the thing though. Low season work wise and brand new baby added to family of 3 make the TV budget almost NIL.

Now I NEED a 16:9 set. I have a 300 + DVD collection and have specifically shunned all non-anamorphic DVDs. I have been dying to re-watch my DVDs at their best.

However I can compromise a bit. I am willing to get a ... GULP... 4:3 TV knowing I will upgrade soon (in a year or so) to a bigger, better 16:9 set (maybe another Elite 64") in the future and that 32" 4:3 will become the bedroom TV.

Heck it will still be good for all that TV on DVD I've bought. I have even decided since it is an intermittent set, just to hold me over I might just go for the cheapy Wally-Mart $599 (Canadian) Flat 32" Sanyo that is on special and to heck with PQ.

Now you don't understand, this is killing me. PQ is a BIG deal for me. I have always opted to pay hundreds more in the past for the better quality model of 2 same size TVs. I paid $10k for my Pro 710 when same size RPTVs could be got for almost half that price.

But I am not about to pay $1000 for a 4:3 TV which brings me to my next thought...

should I just F it and gor for an RPTV? I figure I might as was well fasten the buckle a little tighter and spring for an intermediate 16:9 RPTV.

Why not right? But which one? now if I am going to spend $2000 I don't want the super cheapy RPTV. I cannot go for the best unfortunately but my Pioneer spoiled me in terms of PQ and cannot go the bad PQ route on a 16:9 RPTV.

What would you recommend? what is a good RPTV for under $2500 Canadian? I hear Toshiba might be the way to go. Anyone here had or has an Elite HD RPTV and can tell a comparable substitute. I know there is no real comparison but what will be close.

How are the Hitachis? My gut says no but I keep hearing some positives.

Odds are I will go to either The Brick or Breault + Martineau here in Canada so Tosh or Hitachi seem to be there choices.

Anywhere else I should be looking? any online dealer in Canada I should know of? Other brands?

HELP ME OUT HERE!

I am so desperate I almost went what seemed like a compromise and bought a cheapy 30" 16:9 tube from a brand I can't even recall right now. It was only $699 Canadian but when I noticed the same size 16:9 tube from Sanyo was $1099, $400 more for same TV (and I don't find Sanyo to be a BIG name either) I figured the PQ must be REALLY bad.

So there it is, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I know you don't want to hear this but after having an "Elite" I think ONLY YOU can answer that question yourself. If money is tight I would live with a 32" for a year or so until you can really afford what you want & maybe look for closeout prices next year on this years sets. There's no sense getting into debt over any tv set. You might also want to look around & see what you can find in the "Used" or "Refurbished" Market. Good Luck & Happy Hunting & Sorry I wasn't much Help.

3. Wolfgang.K

Wolfgang.K Agent

That’s a tough call Rolando. Looks like you have the fever!
    Although I have put a layaway deposit for a Hitachi 50F510 at Futureshop I am now contemplating a 50S500 from Brault & Martineau. I hear good things about the S500 especially in the PQ area hence my indecision.

If you get a chance take a quick look at the Hitachi 50S500. If this doesn’t get you going I would bail on the RPTV and get a cheap 30" for the time being until you can afford something better down the road.

One more thing….they are advertising it for $2699.00 36 month payments with no interest.

I’ll be making my decision hopefully by tomorrow.

Good luck

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice Bill, not sure if you were being sarcastic about after having "Elite" though. Not everyone agrees about Elite's being among the best RPTVs.

Wolfgang, are the Hitachi any good? I have always assumed (maybe wrongfully) that it was a lower end brand. Is it good? what is it comparable too. Now I realize that PQ is quite subjective but what have you heard about these? Is Toshiba considered higher end? lower? or about the same?

Is that price you mentioned good? Hey if you are in the East end maybe we should go together and see if we can get a better deal to get 2 [​IMG]

Seriously though, any info would help.

Thanks guys and keep the info coming. I have almost decided to go the 16:9 Direct view route. A good compromise. I can enjoy my widescreen movies as they were meant and appreciate the anamorphic transfers AND for TV shows I will still get the tube look for 4:3 material.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Nope, I've always been a BIG Pioneer "Elite" Fan & believe it or not, I think Hitachi's are pretty nice too. Plus I think Pioneer, Hitachi & Mitsubishi have been at the top of the pack on R&D on RPT's for a long time. Just my 2 Cents [​IMG]

6. Wolfgang.K

Wolfgang.K Agent

I agree with Bill. The three manufactures he mentioned make a solid RP product.
    Take an hour and check it out for yourself. You'll will be able to make a better decision then.

I'm going to see if I can get a great deal on the S series. If I can't I have the F510 to fall back on.

7. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

if i were you, in your same situation, i would do this...

i would get a cheap tube for the time being and then get something decent in a few years when the budget allows.

if you had a pro-710, even a hitachi wont look all that hot for you. set your own expectations low, get a cheap tube, then afford what you will end up liking. you WILL regret getting a RPTV thats not up to the quality of your old one. and everytime you watch it, it will remind you of what you dont have. with the tube, you wont be looking at the PQ, you will just watch the content.

8. andrew markworthy

Plasmas and LCDs are still coming down in price. IMHO, regardless of personal budget the smart thing to do is sit and wait a couple of years. CRTs are already coming down in price to compete, but I would guess that give it a couple of years and it'll be even more of a buyer's market.

9. John S

John S Producer

I would tell you , the market has changed so much in the past few years. Start from scratch, with no preconcieved notions about what an Elite is, was, or used to be. With some leg work, I'll bet you can find a large RPTV, that has enough PQ to make you happy, for a price you can actually afford.

10. RichG

RichG Agent

I was in nearly the same boat you are in. I had a Pioneer 510HD that cost me $4,500, which I loved, but sold last year to purchase a flat panel. Unfortunately, the new LCD which looked great in the showroom, had some major deficiencies in my home viewing environment. Anyway, I decided to sell my LCD, at a big loss, and get a replacement for my Pioneer. I wanted to get something at least as good, but only had a maximum of 3k to work with. Fortunately, the prices have come down dramatically. I was able to get a Hitachi Director series 57X500, which actually appears to exceed the Pioneer in SD picture quality, and as the tubes break in, seems to be approaching the 510HD for DVD quality. I realize five years ago, Pioneer Elite was at the top of the heap for RPTV picture quality, however they have recently hit some hard times with major quality control issues, and are also getting out of the business of RPTV's altogether. Based on several weeks of research on the various forums, it seems the Hitachi Director series and Mitsubishi Diamond series are the heirs to the throne. Here is how you can have your cake and eat it to. There is an authorized Hitachi refurb outlet called UEC that is getting a lot of positive feedback from satisifed customers. They have some fantastic prices on refurbed Hitachis, including a price of 1,300 for a previous model of the Hitachi Director series.

11. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

thanks for the advice RichG, I actually went to check out some Toshibas and Hitachis but I have MORE questions than before.

The store I was at had some Toshibas 51hx83 but no 51hx84 yet but can get me one at the same price. Why would the old model and this year's model sell for the same? IS last year's better? did they cut back on quality this year?

Got lost looking at Hitachi models between S series and F series and F500 and S500 and F510 but apparently this year no S510.

what to get... what to get...

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Well I have narrowed it down to RPTV between Hitachi and Toshiba. Possibilities are:

Hitachi: S500, F510 or look up the S715

Toshiba: 51HX83 (last year's model) or 51HX84 (this year's model). They sell for the same price right now however rumour has it last year's model is actually BETTER as they cut back on this year's model to keep price down.

Can anyone confirm?

13. RichG

RichG Agent

Rolando, here is another option. Walmart is selling the Pioneer SD-533HD5 for around $1,500 U.S. which is a killer deal. This particular model did not suffer from the streaking problems users experienced with the Elite series. Unfortunately, Walmart does not deliver to Canada. However, you might be able to arrange something since your so close to the NY border.

14. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

OH MAN, I wish wally-mart Canada had these... we have Phillips RPTVs...