Help I am going bald

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam C., Mar 12, 2003.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

I am only 20 and my hairline seems to be going back further each time I get my haircut. It is the spot above my temple. Each time I get it cut, there is more and more vidible forehead.

All of the males in my family are not bald, my 75 year old grandfather's hair is not even thinning.

What should I do, I do not want to be bald?!!!!

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I started panicking when my hair began thinning. Then it kind of stopped. It's thinner than it used to be but I still have good coverage. [​IMG]

Almost all men recede above the temples. It might just recede a bit and stop. There's really no way to tell.

You could visit your doctor to see what prescription medications are available to try to combat it, but results will vary.

Personally if I ever lose so much that it starts looking bad, I'm just going to shave my head and be done with it.

Good luck.

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I wouldn't worry about it, just shave it real short and no one will notice, and you don't have to worry about combing it.

My grandpa was almost completely bald by the age of 21. I don't know why, just one of those things.

Don't forget how hot Vin Diesel is. At least that's what my eldest daughter and wife tell me. [​IMG]

Bald is beautiful, I am not bald naturally, but I keep my head shaved now (well a #1 buzz). And I like it.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    When I was a freshman in high school I noticed my hair thinning a bit and I was immediately paranoid that I'd be completely bald by the time I graduated. The thought even crossed my mind that maybe I should start growing it out so I could comb it over to cover the bald spot [​IMG] That was fourteen years ago and I still have as full a head a hair as anyone. My suggestion would be don't worry about it. Worry will only accelerate your hair loss anyway. It's probably just your imagination making a mountain out of a mole hill but even if you really are balding there isn't much that you can do about it.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

But in a year you will be able to drink....they kind of go hand in hand

6. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    My hair isn't as thick as used to be either and I'm only 22. I don't really have a receding hairline, but it's thinner on top. Doesn't really bother me though. If it ever gets to the comb-over point, it's all coming off. I'd hate to look like this: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

If you get bald, you get bald. Nothing to make a fuss over. Just accept it, it's not that bad.

Of course, this is very easy for me to say, since I have the kind of hair that women envy. [​IMG]

--Anders

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I'm 33 and my hairline does seem to be receding a little at the temples. I've also found that it's not as thick as it used to be, which is actually a little helpful since if anything it was TOO thick.

"unfortunately" someone actually noticed this once (and yes, she was female -- just an acquaintance though). so my mother suggested I start taking some Chinese herbal remedies for it. it does seem to have a little effect, i.e. the "pile" of hair clogging the drain in the shower now seems a little less than before I started.

Adam, if you're really paranoid about it, you can consider Propaecia (spelling?), that proprietary medicine by Merck.

(another friend used to be the local marketing manager for Propaecia, and she once somewhat tactlessly asked another of our friends (male of course) to take the stuff since he so obviously needed it [​IMG] she's since moved to become marketing manager of Xigris, which is quite a world apart.)

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Just shave your head, chicks dig it [​IMG]

10. david stark

david stark Second Unit

just cut it all off and be done with it. I wasn't losing hair, but decided I was sick of my hair so I cut most of it off (a #2 all over now). saves money on the barber (do it myself) and save loads of money on shampoo, quicker in the morning since there is no need to comb my hair and you can dry it in seconds with a towel. Admittedly if you like skiing or other winter sports then it is noticebly colder than with hair, but that is the only bad thing about it.

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The average lifespan of hairs is 7 years.

So, this is what happens:
    When your hormones get the levels that were meant for you as an adult (at the age between 13-16), you will also get the hairlines your genetic constitution dictates. You lose your puppy hair.
    For men, that means some recession of the front hairline, and for some several forms of partial baldness in typically genetically determined places (tonsura Petri or tonsura Pauli [​IMG] - named after St. Peter and St. Paul), for others greying of the hair, etc.
    And that change will start to show only after about 7 years.

You say all males in your family aren't bald, so most probably you won't get really bald either (the female lines work too, BTW, the females themselves just don't show it, because of their - yes indeed - female hormones).

And I also assume you don't "pluck" your hair, or something like that.

Now my advice is: relax. Don't believe any "remedy" (lotions, herbs, whatever) to work. They don't. And certainly don't believe for a moment you will get less attractive from a sexual point of view.
    Remember, you're growing a male hairline!

Cees

12. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Propecia, Propecia, Propecia

Jeff

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

[Homer ]"Dimoxinil"[/Homer ]

14. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys, the next time I go to my doctor I think I'll talk to him about it. But I am in no hurry to go see him.

15. BrettB

BrettB Producer

"Live damn it, live, like every day is your last!"
    - Costanza

16. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I would simply deal with it. Thank goodnessthe combover has gone out of style(if it ever was a style). Many men of today embrace it, by either shorter haircuts or bicking it completely. There are many drawbacks to those drugs. I'm like Rain, in that my hair receded a bit in my mid-20's and just stopped. Don't panic, not yet.

17. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

I remember the precise moment that I realized I was headed for baldness:

I was working part time at Best Buy, and the guy that worked the Loss Prevention desk at the front had to go on a break so he asked me to cover for him. I was playing around with the (black & white) cameras and switched to the one that's over the cashiers.... I panned over myself and had to do a double-take! There it was, all bright and shiny white: my emerging bald spot.

It was a bit of a blow initially, but I always knew I was destined for it since my father and brother were both balding. I just wasn't ready for it to happen in my mid-20s. Now I'm 28 and almost completely bald on top. You know what? It's not that bad. I've got a beautiful wife who loves me for who I am, not for my hairline. (And yes, we met after baldness began) Like the others, I keep my hair very short using a #2 guard on the clippers. I tried shaving once, but my head just wasn't that attractive, plus I'm 6'5" so I stood out way too much.

I'll never try propecia or any other "treatment" that requires you to do something daily or weekly to keep some little patch of peach fuzz on your head. Maybe someday if they develop a treatment that will regrow things to their original condition AND it only required monthly/yearly treatments (or better yet only one treatment) I might consider it. However, I'm a cynic, so I believe even if a company did develop something that could only be done once they'd find a way to meter it out so that you'd have to have regular treatments and thus assure their revenue stream.

-Brett.

18. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

A friend of mine had good luck with transplants, but they are expensive (several thousand $$) & not fun to experience. The skill of the doctor matters a lot, too- it's an art in placing the plugs properly, so if you consider this route, be sure to seek referrals from other patients.

19. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

I seem to remember reading that the gene which determines baldness comes from your mother's father. So, which grandfather is this?

20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Seth is right, you only need look at your mother's side of the family, you could have apes on your father's side and be smooth as a billard ball on top. Only the mother's side counts for baldness...