Help - HT for around $1000

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kiran_kumar, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Kiran_kumar

Kiran_kumar Auditioning

I plan on buying a home theatre with a budget around $1000. Please advice what would be the best combination of receiver/speakers/subwoofer. My room is 20 ft by 15 ft. I would like to have a compact HT system.

One of my friend suggested the following combination.

Harman/Kardon AVR-125
    Klipsch Quintets
    HSU STF-2

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

That's a fairly large room for a "compact" system. You'd probably be straining it to its limits unless they are very efficient speakers and easy to drive, and you don't want big, undistorted sound.

Systems I usually recommend start at around $1,500 for basic speakers and a receiver. Do you have a DVD player already?

The problem with buying everything on a tight budget can be that you end up with speakers and a sub that are only average (especially for a larger room), and you may find yourself unhappy with them after a while. That leads to upgrade-itis, the bane of all home theater hobbyists.

Comments, questions?

Dan

3. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Well Klipsch are easy to drive.... But for that room size it might be better to take your time putting a HT together. If you are patient enough, buy your reciever, dvd player. Then decide if you want your FL,FR and a sub or FL,FR and a center channel. The save a bit and buy your surrounds and whatever other peice you didn't buy the first time. I don't know where you live, but I would go to your local A/V store and listen to some of there setups. You might not like the Klipsch and H/K package. Klipsch aren't for everyone because they are horn speakers. Some people find that they are too bright. You really need to go listen and see what your ears like. Then buy what you like. Any other questions that I can or someone else can answer on this forum.

Mike

4. Kiran_kumar

Kiran_kumar Auditioning

Thanks for your replies. I stay in Bloomington, IL. I had demos at the BB store for Kplich, Athena, Bose, JBL and Yamaha systems. I liked Klipsch, Athena and Bose (Life Style series). I have also read about paradigm Cinema series.

I have a Daewoo DVD player. Basically I would prefer to have a set of small speakers at the front and rear,a center channel and a good subwoofer. Is this kind of set-up sufficent for a decent HT system or do i need to have more components ? Please comment.

Kiran

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The laws of physics are against you if you want small speaker drivers to move enough air to fill that size of a room. Besides, the receiver you were considering doesn't have enough power if you bought larger speakers.

Please stay away from Bose. There are many discussions around the internet as to why Bose sucks a--. To put it bluntly. [​IMG]

You really should consider at least floor standing towers for the front left and right and larger bookshelves for the surrounds, at the very least. You would want about 90-100 real, honest to goodness watts or more for amp power as well (some manufacturer's over rate their equipment, so be careful). That will give you good power headroom without pushing things to distortion.

If your budget is tight I would wait to add just a bit more to it, and even then I would definitely consider only getting two very good speakers, and a decent receiver. The speakers can start out as large bookshelf-types if you'd like, then add your other speakers and your sub as you go. Yes, you may not get surround sound right away, but at least you'll wind up with a much better home theater at the end. One you'll be extremely happy with.

My recommendation from personal experience would be this:

Denon AVR-2803 ($500-$600 online). It also has pre-amp outputs for all channels so you could use it as a pre-amp and get yourself a beefier power amp down the road.

B&W DM602 Series 3, large bookshelves. ($520-$585 per pair depending on dealer discount-- if you don't ask, you may not get one-- it again depends on how flexible the dealer is, so shop around). Surprising bass response for a monitor speaker, and fairly neutral in their sonic presentation. High quality construction and very musical speakers!

B&W and Denon match perfectly IMHO.

Dan