Help...HP computer wont turn on

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I have a problem I hope someone can help with...I had a external hard drive that wouldn’t work, so I took the drive out of enclosure and plugged it in to my Aunt's computer(I am visiting) and all my files showed up no problem...I powered down and when I went to turn her computer back on there was a LONG beep sound followed by a short beep every few seconds and the computer wont turn on...I have no idea what happened, I have installed 2nd hard drives before, even on this very computer. Any thoughts?
The computer is a HP Pavilion 763 I think.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
That's a POST (Power On Self Test) error. Check that the video card and RAM chips are seated properly. The computer won't start without them. It will start even with no drives, so that's unlikely to be the problem, although you can try disconnecting them entirely just to remove them from the equation.

Usually the series of beeps will identify the problem, just like Morse code. If you have the manual or can find it online, that would help. (Good luck with that.) One other user-correctable problem involves the CMOS battery, which is used to store the settings and keep the clock running; it involves removing it and/or shorting a jumper. There are other possible reasons for the POST error, but most involve replacing the CPU and/or motherboard....

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Some aftermarket motherboards have a little LCD display which will post the code, kind of like a car's OBDII data. Since you mention it is an HP computer, it probably doesn't have one, but that is another option to find out what is going on with the POST (power on self-test). One good source is try to look at HP's support section, they may tell you how to read the beeps and diagnose your problem.

Jay

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
It's probably not the drive, but the first rule is undo the last thing you changed...so remove it.

But Ken hit it. It's easy to bump into things inside the case. If removing the drive doesn't fix it, reseat any and all cards and RAM and give it another try. They may all look like they're all the way in but it only takes a small break in continuity for the entire bus not to function, giving you the symptom you have.

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, i actually called HP support and had to pay $60 for them to tell me to re-seat the memory card...once i did that, the computer started right away.

Thanks Again,
Josh

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
lol.. right after my dell vs hp support post.

Ok.. $60 for what, an hour tech support? That seems excessive.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaywess