What's new

Help: How to split ONE satellite dish cable to TWO separate receivers? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I may have a problem....at least DirecTV thinks so.

I wanted to add an additional TV to my satellite
service. The TV is located in a separate room.

I went out and bought a basic DirecTV receiver.

I only have ONE cable coming into the house.

Therefor......

I am running ONE line off a 3 LNB satellite
and simply splitting it to two televisions with
separate receivers...

DirecTV says this is not good. Can someone
explain why?

Someone suggested I use an A/B switch instead.

What do I need to buy from Radio Shack?

A simple A/B switch? I take it with this switch
setup I will not be able to have both TVs running
at the same time?

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Ron, I cannot speak for DirecTV but with DISH you need something in between the dish and the receivers that is more robust than the A/B or splitter. I have a DISH SW21 that splits between the LNB's and multiple receivers. I would imagine the technology is fairly similar.

Good Luck!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That won't work reliably. Some will block the voltage and/or tone back to the dish.

Since you are using a multi-sat dish, your ONLY option is to run another line from the dish to the new receiver. If you were using a regular 18" dish, you could use a stacker ($175) at the dish and a de-stacker ($80) at each receiver. Stacking technology doesn't work with your dish though.

-Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Damn!

This has turned into a more expensive
project than originally planned.

I am going to call a local installer
today and have a secondary line brought in.

I thank all of you for the education I
received on how NOT to split a satellite
cable signal.

Really appreciate the advice!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Gee wiz!!:eek:

I would have tried the same thing you did Ron wondering why the hell it's not working. This is one of the reasons I have not gone satellite yet, I don't like having stuff I don't know how to fool around with, to be able to change it to my liking.:frowning:

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Once you have the work done it is wonderful. I have had DISH for nearly 8 years now and it has been virtually flawless. The 921 HD PVR rocks!

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Ron this is what I have been using flawlessly to split a dual lnb satellite into three feeds, two for my directivo and one into a normal receiver. I used the powered multi switch for a while but it broke and now I am using the passive multi switch.

Passive Multi-Switch
or
Powered Multi-Switch

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys...

What should I do here?

I just made an appointment with a
satellite company to install a new
line into the room.

They want $95 for the install.

Now I see that I can possibly go to
Radio Shack and for $30-40 less I can
buy a switch that will handle a simple
split.

Any recommendations here?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
The Radio Shack switch isn't going to accomplish the deed nearly as well as this $95 install. Ask them what $95 is getting you and have them itemize it. If you can, come back here and tell us what they said. I'm thinking, to get what you want, you make to give the :emoji_thumbsup: to the install.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Eric,

I know what I am getting.

I already bought a $50 DirecTV box yesterday.

They are simply running a new line off
of the existing dish into the room.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...and one more question....

Is it totally necessary to keep a
phone line plugged into the DirecTV
receiver?

My phone jack is too far away.

I don't plan on using PPV at all.

Will they disconnect me if my receiver
does not have a phone jack installed at
all times?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron - I have two DirecTV receivers in constant use and neither one has been plugged into my telco for over 3 years. No problems.

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
The phone jack is for ordering Pay-per-View movies via that particular receiver. I would second the installer coming over. Get it done right with a lot less time and frustration.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
EricRWem why do you say that the switch will not do what Ron needs?
What does the statement "The Radio Shack switch isn't going to accomplish the deed nearly as well as this $95 install." mean it is very vague.

The switch is meant to add lines without adding a new run from the dish. All Ron needs to do is add a line from the switch to the receiver. I think this gets the job done exactly like Ron wants. The switch works perfectly fine my transponders are all above 87.

Also, Ron as EricN posted the phone line is not needed. But if you can run satellite wire it is simple to add the switch and it is no hassle at all to use. If you have ever used a splitter before on old cable systems or over the air tv and ran a new line to a tv it is that easy to add the switch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, well, the appointment is Friday morning.

I'll wait and see if anyone else overly
objects to me using the switch. If not,
I may go that route.

The only fear I have about using switches
and splitters is the possible degradation
to my HDTV signal on my main set.

As always, thanks.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Ron, I can add a twist.
Do you need/desire the capability to watch different channels on both displays at the same time?
Or (as some) will you be watching satellite, either in one room or the other? Do you require independent channel switching?

Direct Cust. Service reps discourage any other setup other than a line in from dish with receiver at each line.

Splitting your signal does work (when done properly) I see it mentioned in AVS frequently. But if you do not mind having both TV’s tuned to the same channel you can legally slave a second display to one receiver.

You run a coaxial line from the main receiver to the second display. And purchase a RF add-on, which allows remote in both rooms, to change the main receiver. In this configuration you do not have the convenience of watching channel of choice on each display. Whatever the main receiver is tuned to; will display in both rooms. BUT you avoid the $5 month 2nd receiver fee. (Direct is trying to get rid of this by no longer selling STB’s with built-in RF controller)

Whether your D* STB is a TIVO or SD receiver, it will function without a phone line although it is stated for the TIVO that the phone line has to be plugged in during the initial setup and activation of the card. Honestly if it was not plugged in, I believe mine still might have activated (via Sat download) Just say “Yes” my phoneline is plugged in when they ask. (I ran a line across the hall for a few minutes to my TIVo during activation). My last ST a HD RCA DTC100 was never plugged into a phone line, not even for activation.
My D* rep told me categorically that my TIVO required a phone line to be connected or it would not work. Which is gross misrepresentation. B&M salespeople & D* reps have both made this statement to others and myself. What they should properly be saying is: Without a phone line you can not order Sunday Sports Ticket and PPV (neither of which I use). And I would rather not have my TIVO dialing home just to download information about my viewing habits to D*.

I've seen several people mention splitting with some setup like Bens when they had used up the 4 outputs from the Triple LNB with builtin 4 out multiswitch. They wanted to add a fifth reciever without purchasing the more expenisve additional 4x8 or 4x12 ect, casadable multiswitch to do so.

If the difference in cost and install time factors fairly close for you? Personally, I would prob. choose to run the second line of coax due to the fact that I love straight runs on signals with no splitters/combiners/ video switching etc, whenever I can avoid it. I always worry about possibly degrading signal with each additional connection I have to make.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, your DirecTivo is making two different calls. The call to Tivo uploads your viewing habits to the servers. The call to D* uploads your PPV and confirms that you are still eligible for the Sunday Ticket (if you subscribe to it). Like you said earlier, the phone line isn't required. It's been 620+ days since my DirecTivo has called in. I just get a daily nag screen reminding me how long it has been.

-Robert

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
I had the same screen your tivo hasn't called in for 400+ days and I dialed in the other day and the new software doesn't have the nag screen anymore and you don't get daily messages to delete either. I think in the three weeks it's been since I downloaded the new software I have had two emails only. So you may want to dial in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks