What's new

Help, how to connect Yamaha RX-V995 to Samsung plasma tv (1 Viewer)

Hijack

Grip
Real Name
Phil
Hi, Just got the Yamaha av receiver (10 years old) for a song. Sounds great music wise. It has no HD connection, which I knew. But how do I connect it to the TV for 3:1 home theater? I have not done any HT before. Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There's really no need to connect a receiver to the tv except to use the receiver as a switcher between devices (dvd player, cable box, etc). And it's sometimes best to connect video devices straight to the display anyways. Audio connections go to the receiver. Which devices, brand name and model number, do you have and we can suggest the best way to connect them. BTW, the Yamaha 995 is an excellent piece of vintage gear.

Hijack

Grip
Real Name
Phil
gene c said:
There's really no need to connect a receiver to the tv except to use the receiver as a switcher between devices (dvd player, cable box, etc). And it's sometimes best to connect video devices straight to the display anyways. Audio connections go to the receiver. Which devices, brand name and model number, do you have and we can suggest the best way to connect them. BTW, the Yamaha 995 is an excellent piece of vintage gear.
I guess I should have specified that I want to hook up a Comcast cable box to the receiver. The TV is a Samsung PN50B450B1D. It now looks like I should go digital audio (optical) from cable box to Yamaha and again to TV? I currently have an HDMI connection from box to TV and can live with that. The connection to a DVD player should as straigtforward as the one to the CD player, right?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For audio, use a digital connection betwwen the cable box, dvd player and cd player. You could also use the red and white analog connection from the cd player for straight analog sound. Some prefer analog over digital for two channel stereo music. There's no need for an audio connection from the receiver to the tv. If you want to watch tv through it's own speakers the hdmi cable from the box to the display will cover that. I hope you never want to watch a dvd through the tv's speakers, but if you do then use the red/white cables from the dvd player to the tv. If you plan on getting a BluRay player then look for one with the multi-channel analog outputs. These would go to the receivers mc analog inputs and would give you access to the new higher quality Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio sound formats found on BluRay discs. The 995 is too old and can't process these new formats.

Hijack

Grip
Real Name
Phil
gene c said:
For audio, use a digital connection betwwen the cable box, dvd player and cd player. You could also use the red and white analog connection from the cd player for straight analog sound. Some prefer analog over digital for two channel stereo music. There's no need for an audio connection from the receiver to the tv. If you want to watch tv through it's own speakers the hdmi cable from the box to the display will cover that. I hope you never want to watch a dvd through the tv's speakers, but if you do then use the red/white cables from the dvd player to the tv. If you plan on getting a BluRay player then look for one with the multi-channel analog outputs. These would go to the receivers mc analog inputs and would give you access to the new higher quality Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio sound formats found on BluRay discs. The 995 is too old and can't process these new formats.
Hi Gene, So I think you're saying to forget about using the av receiver just to watch TV, right?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hijack said:
Hi Gene, So I think you're saying to forget about using the av receiver just to watch TV, right?
No, not at all. In fact, I never use the displays speakers. I always go through the receiver and use my surround speakers. But in some cases, where maybe a wife and/or kids are involved, you may want to be able watch tv with the receiver turned off so the little ones don't mess with your equipment. And some people don't want to bother with the whole system just to watch the news, etc. I'm just saying that I can't see a reason to connect the receiver to the display for audio. The hdmi cable from the cable box will also send audio to the tv. The optical cable from the cable box to the receiver will transfer audio to the receiver.

Hijack

Grip
Real Name
Phil
Hijack said:
gene c said:
No, not at all. In fact, I never use the displays speakers. I always go through the receiver and use my surround speakers. But in some cases, where maybe a wife and/or kids are involved, you may want to be able watch tv with the receiver turned off so the little ones don't mess with your equipment. And some people don't want to bother with the whole system just to watch the news, etc. I'm just saying that I can't see a reason to connect the receiver to the display for audio. The hdmi cable from the cable box will also send audio to the tv. The optical cable from the cable box to the receiver will transfer audio to the receiver.
OK, now I get it. Thanks!

dengming

Auditioning
Real Name
safknklsd
I always go through the receiver and use my surround speakers. But in some cases, where maybe a wife and/or kids are involved, you may want to be able watch tv with the receiver turned off so the little ones don't mess with your equipment.
g.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks