What's new

help! how does Solaris (1960s version) end? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
*SPOILER AHEAD*

I taped the original Solaris last night and the recording ran out just before the end. I'm itching to know what happened. At the point where my recording ran out, the hero appeared to have returned to Earth, and was looking from the outside into his house, where it appeared to be raining. What happens after this, please?

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
His father, inside the house (where it's raining), comes outside. Kris walks up the steps and embraces him. The camera pans back and up, revealing that Kris's home was in fact recreated on one of the islands of Solaris. End film. You missed probably about two minutes or so...

The meaning of this scene is of course completely up to interpretation.

He either never left Solaris (the entire scene is a fantasy), or he did leave and the ending is symbolic (his experience on the station taught him how to open up again), or in fact he never even went to Solaris in the first place (the entire journey to Solaris was a metaphyiscal one).

Your mileage may vary...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, many thanks. I have the personal feeling that Tarkovsky's direction was just a little self-indulgent (IMHO a good 45 minutes could be clipped out without losing atmosphere or meaning) but I loved the plot.

I think it's the first of your suggestions, but as you say, opinions will (perfectly legitimately) vary on this.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
It is a long road to hoe, definitely indulgent at times but truly a fascinating film. As far as the last explanation for the film's ending -- the metaphysical journey -- I never even thought of that approach until I listened to the commentary on the Criterion DVD. Definitely a film that opens itself up to discussion.

BTW the DVD is fantastic. Pick it up if you're a fan of the film, you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread