Help! How do I make a system diskette - win xp

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Neil Joseph, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used to know how to do this with win me but just exactly how does one make a system diskette for win xp. I need to be able to boot from it and format a new hard drive.

Or perhaps I can change the boot drive so that it boots from my cd???

Suggestions will be appreciated.

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

This page has links to boot disks for xp home/pro, with or without sp1. Of course, the XP cd is bootable, so the easiest thing to do is to change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that it boots first of the cd-rom.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks. Here is an update (still need help)...

I got the bootable diskettes above to work, the I figured out how to boot from the CD (my bios on this second computer is strange).

Tried the diskettes and installed the cd (win xp home upgrade) in the drive when asked. It told me I cannot install from that cd. So I tried booting off the cd and the same thing happened, I cannot install off that cd. Microsoft support said I need to use a win 98 or win me cd first before the xp because the xp is an upgrade.

Strange thing is I just installed win xp straight off that same cd on another new system that had no data on the HDD. This other computer I am installing winxp onto had a HDD crash so I had to install a new HDD. I just want to get the operating system onto it so I can proceed with the other installs.

Any suggestions? Do I really need to get a win98 cd off someone in order to complete this winxp install? Just does not make sense since I just installed xp 2 weeks ago on the other computer with no problems.

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Win XP requires a series of , I believe, seven boot diskettes.

6. Ken Scott

Ken Scott Agent

yeah i had to do the 7 disk route to fix a friends comp. if you can boot from you cd rom, do it. it'll save u alot of time, trust me.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This is getting pretty damned fustrating! I boot off the cd only to have the thing tell me that I can't install off that cd. I tried the win98 (full version) cd from my dad's computer at that point and that did not work either. I try to boot off the win98 full cd and no luck. I even re-formatted the hard drive thinking that maybe there was some file on there telling my system that it thinks it should have a certain level of windows.

How the bloody hell do I get an operating system onto this computer?

8. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...for Win98 I pop in the boot disk, select the option for cd-rom support and do an FDISK. After I finish formatting I just type "Setup" from the A: and it begins to install. I'm almost positive Win98 CD is not bootable, so you'll have to use the boot disk (you may already know this). Anyway, I haven't installed Win98 for quite some time, but I believe that is one way to do it. Sorry to hear about your problems.

John