Help hooking up single HE-15 to Crown K2 Amp!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Christianson, May 17, 2001.

1. Tim Christianson

I am almost finished with my HE15 sub and will be hooking the driver up soon. How should I wire the beast? (details please)!
    Do I just hook up each voice coil to each amp channel? (That's 8 ohms, correct?)
    Is this the most efficient way?
    I know amps put out more power when they see a 2 ohm load, but how do you wire it? Should I go this route, or just leave it at one channel per voice coil?
    Tim
    ------------------

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Hmm. You have a K2.. Nice KICK ASS AMP! [​IMG]
    Parallel the VC.. 2 Ohms..
    1250/ch with K2.. or bridge it.. 2500W
    Be sure your house is strong enough! [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

Yep, parallel the VC's... (+ to + and - to -) Bridge the amp and run one set of wires to it.
    Yes, that is bridging into a 2 ohm load, and yes that is like a 1 ohm load per channel, but I have used mine in that very configuration and the amp has no problem with it!
    Bridged into 4 ohms, the K2 puts out 2500W. I expect there will be a little more juice left in the power supply, so bridging into 2 ohms is probably something like 3000W!
    Just be careful... you can bottom the driver with that amp! If it's too powerful, you can run one channel to each VC. That'll cut the power quite a bit, but it may be all you need.
    You're using a subsonic filter aren't you? That's pretty essential with that much juice!

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The HE15's have 2-3ohm VC's, at least mine do [​IMG]
    If you parallel them the amp's looking at approx 1.5 ohm load. Now it will drive this; but a kinder gentler way is one VC/channel, unless you really need all the available power

5. Tim Christianson

Thanks guys. I am hooking her up
    now.
    Tim
    ------------------

6. Steve Hanna

Steve Hanna Agent

Hmmm...
    Bridging even the mighty K2 into 1.5 ohms isn't really a good idea. Just because you've gotten away with it so far, doesn't mean you won't pay the price later on. Abused equipment won't last as long as well cared for equipment.
    One channel into each coil will be the equivilent of bridging into 6 ohms. ~2kw total. What's that HE15 VC rated for again?
    ------------------
    Steve Hanna
    Audioaficionado

7. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

1kW/VC total 2KW
    ------------------

8. Steve Hanna

Steve Hanna Agent

I rest my case.
    ------------------
    Steve Hanna