What's new

Help hooking up new CP72!! (please) (1 Viewer)

Tom-DC

Auditioning
After thorough research on this forum, I've decided on my first DVD player (Pan. CP-72) - now I will have to hook it up when it comes. Forgive my ignorance, but my experience is strictly with audio, not video, except for basic VCR hookup to the TV.

I now have an NAD 7400 two-channel receiver that I will not be parting with, and may use with the TV if possible. We have an old TV with what I'm assuming are composite jacks (look like RCA - L,R), and no speaker jacks.

** Can I connect the DVD directly to the TV like a VCR, or do I need a reciever?

** Can I use the AUX input to somehow hook the receiver (with speakers) and DVD to the TV for two channel sound?

The DVD player has DTS and Dolby 5.1 decoding - how will this affect a new receiver/TV purchase?

**If I decide to get a new receiver so I can get surround sound, does the fact that the DVD player has the DTS and Dolby decoders mean I can save money by getting a receiver that doesn't have DTS or Dolby Digital surround? Do they make surround receivers without Dolby or DTS? Any recommendations?

I really appreciate any help.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
You can connect the DVD player directly to your TV set. Use the RCA red and white for sound, and the yellow RCA for picture. If your TV doesn't have a yellow RCA video-in, then you need to purchase a device called an RF modulator ($20 at Radio Shack) which will convert the RCA audio and video into a coax signal. Alternatively, for better audio reproduction, you can run the audio RCA's to an input on your NAD receiver and let it handle the sound chores.

The built-in surround decoding on the CP-72 won't really affect any new TV or receiver purchases. Virtually all newer receivers offer DD and DTS.

Tom-DC

Auditioning
Thanks! I will probably run the sound through the receiver. **Can I only do this with movies, or is there a way to listen to TV through the receiver also?

**With the modulator converting the signal to coax, does this mean that I have to unhook the cable coax wire to watch movies?

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
I think we need to know exactly what inputs / outputs are on the back of your tv. Also do you have a vcr? You can usually run your cable tv coax to you vcr and send the vcr video to the tv via whatever you have in the back of your tv. You could send the audio of your dvd and your vcr to your two channel receiver for stereo sound.

It all comes down to what is on the back of your tv to figure out how to hook up the cable tv and dvd. Also note you can't run the dvd into your vcr and then send the video signal to your tv because dvd's have a copyright imprint that will show up in the video signal.

Tom-DC

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. I checked the TV - the Sony TV only has two RCA jacks -one yellow video and one audio, and one Coax input. We have a basic VCR - not sure of the jacks at the moment, and the 2-channel NAD 7400 receiver.

*Bottom line - Can I somehow hook up everything (even if I need to buy switches,adaptors, etc.) so I can get TV and DVD sound through my speakers? If the VCR is a problem I don't need that hooked up.

*Also, I may decide to get a surround receiver. Is there any way to hook up both receivers to the SAME pair of speakers? (So I can use the surround receiver for TV and DVD, and the NAD for glorious 2-channel music listening.)

Users who are viewing this thread