help hooking up a Dayton 10' woofer to my reciver

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike_Craft, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

ok before I buy the woofer.. I just want to make sure I can hook it up properly. now this is what the back of my reciver looks like for subwoofer wise

[​IMG]

now I read the instructions for the dayton sub and it says

does this mean I will be hooking up some red RCA wire from my sub to the subwoofer out on my reciver? Also it say to use the red.. now is there a reason for this? I know red is right and in the picture in the instructions it shows the setup with the sub on the right. I will be putting the sub on the left for my setup tho. So do I use white or just do as it says and use red no matter what? OR do I not hook it up like that at all?

thanks.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You can use any rca cable you'd like to make that run. They just say "use the red one" so technology illiterate people won't plug in the red on one end and the white on the other (if they're using a L/R cable). Anyway, just get any decent rca and run it from the subwoofer out on your receiver to the line level input on the sub. Also, make sure you go into the settings on the receiver and set the subwoofer to ON.

3. Mike_Craft

thank you. I will be ordering my sub now.. I hope they dont chagre more then $30 shipping [​IMG]

4. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

You'll like that sub. Nice piece of gear. If memory serves, it cost me about $25 or $30 for shipping, but I see you are in Canada. It will be worth the money though, trust me.Don't forget to calibrate your system after you install the new box. It really does make a significant difference to have all the speakers in balance.

5. AdamGaines

AdamGaines Auditioning

Where did you find the ten foot model? I have been looking for that one a long time. I would personally set that up in a large Infinite Baffle with about 3k of power. Imagine the bass potential. J/K =P

6. VinnyP

VinnyP Auditioning

Actually, I think the "Red Input" refers to the input on the back of the sub. I know on my Velodyne CHT-10 the line level is split into two seperate L and R inputs. The sub manufacturer (In your case Dayton) is telling you that if your receiver/amplifier has a single subwoofer out, which from the picture attachment it does, you should connect the RCA cable from that output to the RED RCA input on the sub.

7. Mike_Craft

OMFG this is not fair.. I cant buy the sub from them.. they charge freaking $78 CDn for shipping. That is insane. thats like 50% of the cost of the damn sub. I check how much it would cost to ship to florida and they (and rest of america) gets a option for 1-5 days UPS ground for $17. Why the **** can't they ship to me for $17 Ups ground? I live in ontario and the store is located in ohio. Im freaking closer to them then Florida And most OF america mind you. I even went to UPS.com to calculate and for cheep UPS ground it should only cost $24 USD not $58 This is an outrage. Can some1 recommend what I should do? also, I assume I will be charged tax? Have any Canadians purchased from parts express before?

8. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

Shipping across borders into another country will always inflate the shipping cost quite a bit. I still say you should go for it anyway. I doubt you're going to find a better sub for the total price you're going to be spending.

I live about 35-40 minutes away from Parts Express (Springboro location). When I got my Dayton I had them ship it instead of me going to pick it up (I was too lazy [​IMG]). Got to my house in a day.