HELP!!! home theater set up....receiver seperates subwoofer etc...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CoreyAC, Jun 13, 2006.

1. CoreyAC

CoreyAC Stunt Coordinator

hello...right now i have a SYSTEM IN A BOX which i have been using in my living room which i am not satisfied with at all...

im looking to set it up properly to have a true home theater sound in my home...

i had planned on...
    Receiver
    DVD
    5 satallite speakers including the center channel
    and a subwoofer...

i want pretty big sound which if i have a get together at my home that can supply music to the whole home and maybe even out to the back yard...

so far some items i have looked at are....

SUBWOOFER: Bic America Venturi 10 in. 160 watt powered subwoofer 169.99

RECEIVER: Yamaha HTR-5860 7.1 channel receiver 309.99

SPEAKERS: Yamaha NS-AP540 surround speakers (only 35 watts nominal is that too low?) 94.99

CENTER CHANNEL: Bic Acoustech HT-65 center channel 139.95

How does this look? any recommendations? Any and all advice welcome!!!! thanks!

2. Foster_G

Foster_G Agent

Corey,

Your system seems to be on the right track. The subwoofer is will do fine assuming that your living room is small to medium sized (
    >1500 cubic feet to 2500 cubic feet). The receiver seems to be a winner. Coupled with your speakers, I don't see too much of problem. I used a 100w/channel RCA receiver with some old 5 watt stereo speakers and believe or not they didn't blow out. However, I wouldn't suggest playing them for hours on end at high levels. For movies and soft background music during your parties should work out fine for you. I'd give your center channel two thumbs up. Its a quality product and it might suprise you at times how detailed the sound can be. If you wanted to spend a little more money you could get the 7.1 setup from BIC. But I'll leave that up to you.

Overall, I think you've got a well rounded system. I hope it works out for you.

Enjoy

3. CoreyAC

i may be interested in that bic 7.1 but i havent seen it around...

im going to look for it now...

thanks for your tip! thats the kind of input i had hoped for...

hope i posted in proper section...i wasnt sure

4. CoreyAC

Yamaha makes systems in a box but it isnt like regular systems in a box...it has a receiver and dvd player seperate so what are thought of these???

here is the one i saw for about 550...Yamaha DTX-3000

let me know!

5. Foster_G

Foster_G Agent

I'll be honest, I don't know. I've never been a fan of the "Home Theater In A Box". That's not to say they are any good, but i've helped some friends put theirs together. I will say they are good for smaller spaces, but not much else. The truth is nobody can give you a better opinion than yourself. If you know a store that carries the system, take a listen. If you can't listen to them at the store, ask what their return policy is. If you get it home and it just isn't what you though it would be, (return policy permitting) send it back.