Help! HK325 keeps shutting off. Also seems weak....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian.Huep, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Brian.Huep

Brian.Huep Agent

Hello all,

I just got a Harman Kardon 325 last night. Hooked it all up and started to test it out.

The unit keep shutting off. (Going into protect mode)

It feels pretty warm, but the fan never even came on, so not sure if it's heat related.

I wired it pretty good I thought, will double check tonight to make sure no wires are touching the chassis, or each other.

This was a factory renewed 325.

Also, I popped in Minority report since it claims to be in DTS, and the receiver would not switch to dts. I havent been able to get any movie to show DTS yet. MMmmmm

Last problem is it seems weak weak weak. I listen to it with the receivers volume at 0

It's a good volume, and hits about 105-108 decibles, but is so much quieter then my older HK 55. The 55 was 5 more watts per channel though.

I am using Klipsch Quartets up front, and an SVS 20-39+. The sub sounded soo much better on the HK 55 then the 325 oddly.

What do you think is going on here? Power problem, heat problem, speaker wire problem? I am lost.

Will be ripping it out tonight and completely re-wiring AGAIN! Hoping for the best, but doesnt look good.

How is onecall's return policy on things like this?

Lots of questions I know, but any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Disconnect all 5 speakers. Then reconnect one and crank it up. Add the other 4 one step at a time till you get the heat and protection kick. There may be an impedance problem in one of your 5 speakers and this would pinpoint the culpret.

3. Brian.Huep

Brian.Huep Agent

Thanks Brian, I remember now my dvd player did have a dts output selection on the back /bonk. I was more frustrated last night with the receiver shutting down =)

I am headed to Best buy to pick up some good banana clips and going that route tonight also.

I will unhook all the speakers, crank it up to 0 and see what happens. Just to rule out a touching speaker wire.

Thanks a lot for your help, eases my mind some =)

Still seems weak at 105-108db's compared to my 6-7 year old HK55's power. Odd.

Brian

4. Jason Sanderson

Jason Sanderson Auditioning

I'm going to throw out a total noob suggestion, so please forgive me and no offense intended.

I'm a new AV enthusiast, and when I connected my receiver I must have fudged the wiring. I was not happy with the sound at all, and it wasn't until I used the Avia DVD did I discover that my speakers were out of phase. Fixing this really made a difference and now I'm a happy camper.

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well it is pretty suprising how you are having a problem like that and it is just one day old. Just something that came to my mind is that if you check everything and it still sounds bad then you might want to call Harman and send it back.

Also, I have the AVR-225 reciever with the Klipsch Quintets and mine can seriously blast so you shouldn't be having a problem, also considering that Klipsch is a very efficient speaker so you should be getting alot of sound.

Definantly call them up if rehooking things up doesn't work.

6. Brian.Huep

Brian.Huep Agent

I have always wondered about phasing. If I have red to red and black to black on the speakers and receiver doesnt that mean I have correct phasing? I have avia, but my ears don't hear the tones right.

Can speakers be out of phase even if they are hooked up correctly?

P.S> That would confuse me on the svs phase setting as well then hehe. I have the xover at 80 and the phase at zero using a mono cable. I do have a dual ended nice cable if that would make a difference. /shrug This plugs into the subwoofer pre out on my hk325.

I was always considered hip in my crowd of people, technically. Only one to actually have a projection theater in my home. But after reading here, I realize I am still suckin a passifier.

=)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Brian

7. Jason Bosch

Jason Bosch Agent

While I don't reply or post very often, this happens to sound like something I went through with my refurbed 325. When I got mine and hooked it up It played fine for like 30 mins. Then it would utterly shutdown and when I tried to power it back up all it would do was flicker the display then shut itself off again. I disconnected all the speakers and tried again to no avail. After I let it sit for an hour or so it would power on for like 5 mins and then do the same thing. After 2 trips to the repair shop and 2 months in the shop, the repair shop gave up and I dealt with HK to get a replacement. One Call basically wouldn't even talk to me after sending me a faulty unit. However after 3 months I've got a brand new 325 (non-enthusiastic "Woo-Hoo") Anyways If this sounds like the same thing you're experiencing you may have the same issue mine had. I've never had a problem with mine sounding weak however. Mine plays cleanly to what I consider reference level and beyond. I'm still going to sell mine and get a Yamaha though. I've never had a problem with them and the new 7.1 THX certified RX-V1400's look superb. Hope this may help ya.